View Single Post
Old April 1, 2005, 11:52 PM   #7
U.F.O.

Rojoe67
Quote:
"I see very many confused looks when I take charge.....I challenge all readers to please do the same"
I don't understand your logic here on multiple fronts. What would make you think you're authorized or qualified to "take charge" at any range and command anyone who isn't asking for your leadership?
Quote:
"If people refuse to be commanded (which never yet has happened) I would leave."
At the private shooting club I belong to if you pulled your command act you'd only have the chance to do it once before you were asked to leave. Unless I'm totally misinterpreting what you're saying in your initial post, it sounds like you might have control issues. I'm all for offering strong range advice to the shooter having trouble keeping his muzzle pointing downrange and away from me or telling the guy next to me that he shouldn't be looking down the barrel of a loaded gun to determine if he had a squib, but there's a point where being helpful ends and being arrogantly irritating begins. I would challenge all readers to be more of the helpful and less of the irritating. My experience on unsupervised "hot" ranges is safe operation becomes the responsibility of the collective participants working together, not one "take charge" go-getter. I've seen every shooter at the line, at different times, call for the range to go cold at the next convenient break in fire. Sharing the responsibility helps to keep anyone from "looking confused" and makes the range environment much more enjoyable.

U.F.O.
The low spark of high-heeled boys"
~Traffic - Stevie Winwood~

Last edited by U.F.O.; April 2, 2005 at 01:51 AM.

Page generated in 0.04731 seconds with 7 queries