What works for me
1) My surefire is always next to my bed, I don't need to turn on a light. I have the homefield advantage and can blind them while behind cover.
2) Always seem to wake up fast when it might matter.
3) If you need it to see it should be next to the flashlight.
4) Have never stopped to put on pants because times a-wasting! If someone is breaking into my house it will not be hand-to-hand until I'm out of ammo (and then somebody is getting their nose bit off)!
5) Of course a round is chambered! What good is a gun that's not fully loaded (always).
Remember, you own the ground and know the layout so you have a small advantage. Practice with a flashlight in your house to learn angles of visibility.