PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Grizzly Bear w/ .54 Caliber flintlock Rifle

Salt
January 31, 2002, 03:50 PM
http://www.ninety-eight.net/ibha/grizzly.htm#top

Check it out!:cool:

Art Eatman
February 1, 2002, 12:47 AM
There's just nothing better than having a big thrill of danger and then it all turns out okay!

Now: Hunt up "Keith Rogan", here in the archives or in the Membership, and go to his "Bear Mauling Page". There are photos of him after he lost.

Last I recall, he figures that the average .54 black powder rifle could easily wind up as an unanticipated suppository when things don't go righteously.

:), Art

Salt
February 1, 2002, 01:29 AM
He did have back-up by the guide who was armed with a modern .300 WinMag bolt rifle.

yorec
February 1, 2002, 01:40 AM
I've tried black bear with my .58 flinter, but not sure if my nerves are up to the Alaskan grizzly challenge. I'm convinced I'd try it, but even if you take a 105 mm howitzer - if things don't go "righteiously" with one of those big bruisers, a suppository will be the least of your concerns.

Maybe one day...

H&H,hunter
February 1, 2002, 02:06 PM
I've an old aqquaintance in fairbanks who's taken two nice arctic grizz with his .58 he uses no back up. But back up or not it takes huge lead balls to kill a Grizz with a muzzle stuffer! I'll stick with my modern center fires thank you very much.

Art Eatman
February 1, 2002, 03:45 PM
Creates a whole new level of intensity to "Shot placement", right?

:), Art

labgrade
February 1, 2002, 07:22 PM
Yakked it up briefly with Keith not too long ago. Said his bear page was down - hope it does come back ... some good info there.