PDA

View Full Version : Help! My M1 carbine broke!!

Sisco
December 27, 2001, 05:42 PM
Took my carbine to the range today, fired one round and had a fail to feed on the next, empty round didn't eject. Dropped the mag, cleared the empty and the bolt came loose and fell out. Haven't had the chance yet to strip it down, nothing appears to be sheard or otherwise broken.
Is it broke bad? Can it be put back together or will I need new parts?

Jim Watson
December 27, 2001, 08:16 PM
I am not a carbine expert, but I have seen that happen.
The receiver was cracked in the groove that the stud on the operating rod runs in and the rail was bulged up to where it would not retain the op rod. It came loose and the bolt came out.
Inspect the right side of the receiver CLOSELY.

Sisco
December 27, 2001, 08:19 PM
Got it back together, found disassembly instructions at http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/7719/m1car/m1cardisassembly.html
Examining the assembly when it was back together I found the bolt slips off the cocking piece when the piece is back to the disassembly notch if pushed even slightly to the right.
I guess the question now is: Is the lug on the cocking piece worn or has the notch increased in size due to wear?

James K
December 27, 2001, 11:06 PM
Off hand, it sounds like that carbine may be pretty well worn. You might try replacing the operating slide (what you call the cocking piece) and maybe the bolt. But check a bit first to see if the operating slide raceways in the barrel and on the receiver are badly worn. If so, try to take the gun to a gunsmith who knows carbines.

What kind of carbine is it? A GI gun would be worth fixing, but some of the later Universals and others were not especially well made and will likely cause further problems.

Jim

Sisco
December 27, 2001, 11:23 PM
It's an Inland, dated 1943. My Dad got it through the CMP in the '60's, wasn't fired a whole lot until he gave it to me about four years ago. I've probably put 500 or so rounds through it since then.

James K
December 29, 2001, 01:08 AM
Hi, SK,

Of course there is no way of knowing how much the carbine was fired in the service, but 500 rounds is nothing to a carbine, and it would certainly worth fixing unless it is really bad, which is unlikely. Check the barrel and receiver alignment by eyeball. Then check the op slide to be sure it is not bent.

Insert the slide without the bolt and work it back and forth, trying to pull it outward or rotate it. If it won't come out except at the proper place, it would be OK. Then insert the bolt and try again.

I honestly don't know what is wrong, but the op slide should not come off in firing and the bolt should not come out. Check the above and let's see what you find.

Jim

Sisco
December 29, 2001, 09:48 AM
With the bolt installed it'll only pull out at the notch.
I suspect what happened is when it jammed the empty casing may have been pushing on it just at the right time.
I'll look it over and take her back to the range.