PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Barrel fit question

Joe Portale
December 27, 2001, 10:01 AM
When fitting a barrel in 1911 in a different caliber, does the frame ramp to barrel mouth distance stay the same? FWIW, the 45 cal gap is about 1/32", would this be the same for all calibers? I just ordered an unramped 357 Sig barrel and this question popped in my head. All my shop manuals only discuss the 45ACP in the chapters on barrel fitting.

One more thing. Help me out on this one folks. Since this pistol is being put together from various odds and ends, it is only proper that it should have a name. I believe Frankingun has already been taken. Any name suggestions for my mongrel 1911?

Thanks.

4 Eyed Six Shooter
December 27, 2001, 12:12 PM
Joe, Yes you need to keep the gap between the barrel edge and the ramp on any non ramped barrel for the pistol to feed correctly.
As to the name, thats a good question. My favorite 45 is named "Ol Loud Mouth". Maybe you could call it "The Noisy Old Bastard" as it does not know where the parts all came from.
Happy New Year-John K

madmike
December 27, 2001, 01:44 PM
My pistols are "Samuel" and "Moses" respectively for my 1911 and HiPower.

WESHOOT2
December 28, 2001, 06:52 AM
Suggest calling Ed Brown with your fitting question (but keep it REALLY SHORT -- "time is money").

slickpuppy
December 28, 2001, 08:52 PM
I would suggest you go to www.1911forum.com and ask there.