PDA

View Full Version : Red Lock-tight.

Steve Smith
December 14, 2001, 11:50 AM
I wonder where you guys are getting your red Lock-tight. All of mine will come loose with relative ease. I use red on everything.

Fatcat
December 14, 2001, 06:54 PM
The red Loctite I've got in front of me is the "Permanent strength" #272. Prevailing torque is supposedly 180-270 foot pounds @ 500ยบ F. This stuff ain't gonna come loose any time soon.

Maybe you have a different number than I do. *shrugs*

.A.R.M.-er
December 14, 2001, 07:20 PM
My experience (you ride a Harley, you learn to love Loctite) has taught me that the parts involved must be CLEAN, or the Loctite can be the "200,000 lb, 5,000,000 degree stuff and it won't hold. Also, the proper (not too much) amount is equally as important.
Brian

Steve Smith
December 16, 2001, 05:15 PM
Maybe I'm using too much.

OkieGentleman
December 20, 2001, 12:17 AM
Loctite comes in about 7 or 8 colors. Each for a different application. There are even several types of red, one for bearings and one for screws and bolts.
The best to use for general use is BLUE ( 24206 )loctite. This can be taken apart with normal tools. You have to heat it a little for smaller screws and such. The screws and screw hole must be clean and degreased to work properly, any oil will mess up the process. By the way, the absence of air is what makes loctite set up.
Red loctite properly applied WILL require a propane torch and some serious heat to break loose any screws. If I do not want to have to repair it because a screw came loose and caused a problem. It is brake cleaner, cotton swabs, clean rags and Red loctite time. Clean the holes of all dirt and grease with a wet swab, clean the screw threads, dry out the holes with a clean dry swab, let everything dry, put a drop of red on the threads at the end of the screw and run it into the hole and right back out. Assemble in the next 10 minutes and let set overnite. If it is a hurry right now job, warm the area with a propane torch after assemble, if it is too hot to hold in your hand you got it too hot! You BETTER BE CORRECT IN ASSEMBLY because you have just welded everything into one piece. If you say OOPS after it is put together, go make a cup of coffee, calm youself, get out the propane torch and Slowly starting taking it apart. Make sure you clean off ALL of the old loctite before you put it back together.

PLEASE NOTE!!!!!! You want to be VERY careful getting anything hot and spraying it with brake cleaner, I made that mistake once outside in the open air and got a lungful that sent me home SICK for 24 hrs, inside in a closed area could kill you. Now that you are bored spitless its back to the LUCY SHOW!!!!! :D

.A.R.M.-er
December 20, 2001, 07:04 PM
www.loctite.com has a wealth of info about all of their products- they have downloads available for everything from building speakers to - well, you name it. It's worth a browse,

Nukem
December 22, 2001, 04:47 AM
I've used that stuff in industrial apps as well as guns for a long time. The most important thing is that the parts are degreased with acetone or similar.