PDA

View Full Version : Any problem using Stainless Mags in blued steel gun?

JRiggs
December 11, 2001, 08:25 PM
I found some very nice preban Stainless Factory mags for my Browning HP. Is there any harm in using these mags with this blued pistol? They lock in nice and seem to function positvely. They seem to insert/eject a little harder though. I just worry about two different metals causing a problem. Is this ok?
Thanks!

Jim V
December 11, 2001, 08:42 PM
I have never had any problems using stainless magazines in blue steel pistols, galling was only a problem with stainless slides working on stainless frames. If the fit, lock in place and can be removed you should be set to go.

johnwill
December 11, 2001, 09:55 PM
I can't imagine what the problem would be, and I've interchanged SS and blued mags in a number of guns of both types without incident. I guess the short answer is no. :)

JRiggs
December 11, 2001, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys

C.R.Sam
December 11, 2001, 10:33 PM
Should be no problem unless you get hassled by the style police for violation of color coordination rule 4710.2A.

Sam

JRiggs
December 11, 2001, 10:36 PM
Good one C.R. Sam! Honestly though, it does stick out like a sore thumb when you look at the butt.

James K
December 11, 2001, 11:44 PM
Color coordination rule 4710.2A is only in California. It is part of the same law that says a blued gun and a stainless gun are different models and must be approved separately. I think it is OK to use a stainless magazine, but a stainless extractor spring is definitely illegal.

Jim

PKAY
December 12, 2001, 12:35 PM
Jim - stainless extractor springs are not illegal in CA unless they're "reverse wound" with a right hand twist. All springs in CA have to twist to the left!