PDA

View Full Version : removing mossberg 500 magazine tube

MLC
December 9, 2001, 12:15 AM
I need to remove my magazine tube and install a shorter one. Is it simply a matter of carefully backing it out of the receiver or is it tricky? I am not mechanically imcompetent ,but ,also am far from being a home dremel virtuouso. Any help or tips welcomed, thanks.

swampgator
December 9, 2001, 01:25 AM
How old is it and how many rounds thru it? I have a mid 80's model that has an unknown number thru it that just twisted off under hand pressure.

I posted this a in another thread a few days ago but here it is:

Clear weapon and remove barrel as normal. Place receiver in padded vice. Using tube pliers (available from Brownells) open them as wide as possible and place on the tube. Carefully tighten the pliers until contact is made with the tube. Remove and tighten just a hair more then clamp the pliers on and twist the tube off. If not using those type a normal pair of vice grips will work but remember to pad the jaws to avoid scratches. Don't get in a hurry. The tube will probably have sometype of thread locker on it and may take a bit of coaxing to come off. Be gentle.

Mushinto
December 12, 2001, 11:17 PM
The above post is right on the money. Let me add that you need to be careful not to reinstall the magazine tube too tight because the threaded end is pretty fragile. The magazine screw on the top of the tube will keep the tube in place.
ML