PDA

View Full Version : Parkerizing, shotgun

p3ordie
November 29, 2001, 10:19 AM
Hello, I own a Mossberg 88 shotgun, I like the color but not the feel of the finish. I have seen some do it your self kits for Parkerizing you own gun. Do these kits work? Also this may change the color of it but would like to get rid of the rough feel it has, does anyone have any sugguestions?

Thanks,
Mark

Romulus
November 30, 2001, 01:25 AM
VP, are you talking about the barrel or the receiver on your Mossy? Mossberg receivers are aluminum alloy, and cannot be parkerized. They are hard-anodized at the factory. If it is the receiver finish you don't like, it might have been refinished with an aftermarket coating, like an epoxy or a teflon finish. Did you buy the gun used?

If it is the barrel, that could be parkerized, and factory prk jobs today are mostly manganese phosphates, usually quite smooth and even jobs. Are you sure this wasn't the same post-factory job you are looking at duplicating? You may get no better results...

Check out www.techplate.com or other refinishers - a search will turn up a bunch

Good luck

p3ordie
November 30, 2001, 07:58 AM
Romulus, I was refering to the receiver and I purchased the gun new. Are these aftermarket coatings you refer to easy to get good results? Do I have any other options? I like the color, just not the rough texture. Romulus, thanks for your tips, I will check out the web site you mentioned.

Mark.

Romulus
November 30, 2001, 01:32 PM
VP:

I went to the Mossberg website to look up your model. The 88 is actually sold under the Maverick nameplate, which is just fine. I have to tell you that I have no way of confirming that Maverick receivers are alloy like their Mossberg counterparts (the latter for sure are aluminum alloy.) I don't know what the factory finish would be on a Maverick receiver, conceivably it could be anything from hard anodizing to powder coating. Hard anodizing seems unlikely, as this is usually quite smooth, and any roughness would depend only on the roughness of the base metal of the receiver.

If the receiver's base metal is in the rough (as you would find on a Remington Express model,) a new finish will not smooth it out. That would require polishing. Which complicates things: If it is in fact an alloy receiver (likely, as in all Mossy pumps) polishing might break the surface hardnes imparted through a hard anodizing process. This would soften your receiver - not good.

Options:

1) learn to live with the roughness (I did it with a Remington 870 Express, man they are rough and uhh-gleee)

2) Professional polish and hard-anodize job - but why turn a $200 shotgun into a $400 one

3) DIY refinish with a teflon spray-on coating or baking laquer, can be obtained at www.brownells.com - I would first research the effects of baking temperatures on aluminum alloy, though - I heard they can weaken aluminum. Ask the tech staff at Brownells.

For any DYI job, I would make sure that prepping consists of nothing more than good surface cleaning and degreasing, resist the temptation to "sand down" and/or polish. Let the new finish fill in the pores and smooth things out.

Sorry this was so long. It would be nice if someone with real experience would chime in and correct me if necessary.

Cheers, good luck, keep us posted...

p3ordie
November 30, 2001, 02:06 PM
Romulus, I can't thank you enough for all the advice, sounds like I might end up with option 1, but I am going to contact the people at Brownells. I think I paid $180 for the gun, so your right, its not worth sinking alot of money into it.

Thanks,
Mark

Romulus
November 30, 2001, 06:17 PM
Anything for a fellow Wisconsinite...rereading my post, I should have made myself clearer: even moderate baking temperatures could hurt aluminum alloy. Make sure your temperature is at a minimum if you decide to go ahead, and always check with Brownell's techstaff.

Both Teflon and baking laquers require that you shanghai the oven, make sure the wife is gone for the weekend...

Cheers