PDA

View Full Version : Lee Jurras, Where Are You?

Ala Dan
November 29, 2001, 12:03 AM
Greeting's All,

I received an e-mail from newfrontier.45
that stated Lee Jurras of the old "Super-
Vel" fame isn't dead. If not, please let
it be known here at TFL. All the "hyper-
velocity" ammunition buff's would like
to hear from the creator himself?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Alaska Roy
November 30, 2001, 02:49 AM
Lee has been an on again off again contributor on John Taffins Campfire forum located www.sixgunner.com

Ala Dan
November 30, 2001, 05:14 AM
Thanks Alaska Roy, was just wondering what his
fate might have been.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

C.R.Sam
November 30, 2001, 07:46 AM
Wow, I'll bet he'll be glad to know he's not dead.:D

He may not have been the first but he sure opened the doors for the light n fast handgun projectiles. And had to fight hard to get em accepted as other than a gimmic.

Sam

Mal H
November 30, 2001, 09:02 AM
He's certainly alive and hopefully well. I have it from an extremely reliable source that Jurras simply doesn't give interviews, doesn't talk with anyone about firearms, doesn't want to have anything to do with firearms anymore at least publicly, that is. He is very bitter about something that happened concerning his ammo improvements.

Ala Dan
November 30, 2001, 11:04 AM
Thanks Mal, for the good info. I sure enjoyed
those light n' lively loads from Super-Vel for
many years. Good too know he's not deceased.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Rusty S
November 30, 2001, 03:06 PM
Wasn't he the one who cast zinc washers onto lead bullets to improve on the old swaged on copper end caps?

Don't doubt he got shafted -

I remember when it was ball, rnl, lsw - or Supervel. A guy who should be honored for giving the cop on the street ammo that would put their opponents down inside a cylinderful.

ropeclamp
November 30, 2001, 03:10 PM
Wasn't he named "Oustanding American Handgunner" in the mid to late seventies? I still have a few 357 and 38 spec. Super-Vels I am saving as collectors items.

Alaska Roy
November 30, 2001, 05:06 PM
Since Lee has been a regular on both Campfire and the Sixgunner Boards contributing to the fireams discussuions? BTW Lee has coined a unique puter abbreviation..SDBOHG I believe is how it goes.
Scopes Don't Belong On Hand Guns!

shucks
November 30, 2001, 05:20 PM
the other ammo makers got scared of his penetration of "their" market, and refused to sell him any brass for his ammomaking. This occured right at tax time, so he got bankrupted and shut down. No he did not create the gas check. He pioneered the full coverage jhp for auto's, that's what he did. Prior to Super Vel, the jhp's were for revolvers, and were half jacketed, with exposed lead noses. Such slugs didnt feed very reliably in the autos available in the early 70's.

Mal H
November 30, 2001, 07:41 PM
Roy - My info is reliable but it is around a year old. It is possible he has become more available recently which would be great. Where is the Campfire forum? I looked all over sixgunner and couldn't find it. That, of course, means it is right on the front page and I couldn't see it. :)

Alaska Roy
November 30, 2001, 11:05 PM
At the bottom of the sixgun page is the link for the message board and once there near the top under the FAQ is a link to Taffins Campfire message board

Mal H
November 30, 2001, 11:33 PM
Well Roy, it would have been considerably easier to find that site if you had given the correct link in your first post. It's not sixgunner it's: http://www.sixguns.com/ . I tried your instructions and got nowhere so I did a Google search for taffin and campfire and found it immediately.

Anyway, it does appear that Lee Jurras does participate on that board at present. Not much direct evidence, but many members imply that they email him and that he answers posts there. There was also a post that mentioned he would be at a seminar with Taffin, I believe. Nonetheless he was out of touch for quite a while.

Alaska Roy
December 1, 2001, 01:16 AM
Never promised I was a puter expert, guns yes. I heard both were on a farmed Bison hunt in the Dakotas. Likely the one posted as Buffalo Hunt?

MADISON
December 1, 2001, 11:29 AM
I can remember when Lee Jurras was making SUPER VEL ammo. He refused to pay income taxes and, owed the Government 180 million dollars. The Government stepped in, shut him down, confiscated his equipment and sold it for what they could get/back taxes.

I do not remember which one but he is manufacturing single shot/Contender type barrels in Montana or Idaho.

C.R.Sam
December 1, 2001, 07:15 PM
Rusty S...."Wasn't he the one who cast zinc washers onto lead bullets to improve on the old swaged on copper end caps? "

I think you might be thinkin of the Harvey Prot-X-Bore Zinc base bullets.

Some really wild and wooley loads for the .38spec and .44spec using the Harvey bullets in the 50s.

Not to be attempted by the sane.......44spec, 220gr, 1,600fps from 6" barrel.

Sam

Bodacious
December 1, 2001, 10:46 PM
C.R. Sam My first post on TFL. My friend, you must have a great memory. I cast the Harvey bullet for .357 Mag loads out of lead as pure as I could obtain. If I remember, bullet cast out at about 110 grs and they could be driven fast. That zinc washer did a great job of removing lead. I remember Harvey's used me for a reference when they first started.

This thread on Lee Jurras seems to have an "Urban Legend" mind of it's own. Those of us who were using "SuperVel" on the department where I worked starting having misfires at the height of SV's popularity. I talked to Jurras and he told me his quality control was as good as it came but that he had received other complaints. Turns out the use of a new product on the market called WD40 was the culprit. Jurras' company folded and I always assumed it was because of wide spread use of WD40 in cleaning firearms. Wonder who is right?

Bo

C.R.Sam
December 1, 2001, 10:57 PM
Bodacious...........good grief, you made my hair stand up and I don't have any left.

Welcome sir, warmly indeed. A voice from the past.

My memory sucks but there is so much of it that sometimes neat stuff floats to the top.

Given enough time, somebody will get a patent on the wheel.

Your (and Harvey's) 106 grain holler points with heavy heavy crimp would probably go light speed with some of the modern powders in .357 cases. Not far, but damn sho quick. I remember the 106 gr cause it was such an odd weight.

Sam

Bodacious
December 1, 2001, 11:41 PM
Sam..thanks for the warm reception. I gave up reloading over 10 years ago but still shoot which means I buy the factory stuff on the market. Retired years ago but had to become gainfully employed again to support my habit.

Warm regards to you sir. I hope we post on the same subject again.

Bo

Rusty S
December 2, 2001, 05:53 AM
Harvey it was.

God, wouldn't a series of computer CDs "Gun Digest 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80-89, 90-99" be a great therapueutic tool for the "almost alzheimers" set?

C.R.Sam
December 2, 2001, 11:26 AM
Rusty...I forgot what "almost" means.

For some of us, you gonna have to go a lot furthur back than that.

Sam

jmlv
December 3, 2001, 01:57 PM
OK folks lets get this squared away. there are two different web sites : Sixgunner.com & Sixguns.com which can be reached at the following addresses: http://www.sixgunner.com & http://www.sixguns.com
The campfire is the sixguns.com discussion board( John Taffins site) and yes Mr Jussas can be found there on a regular basis. Apprently these days he is working on super accurate rifles for his own use among madrid other things.
He can also be found regularlly ar the discussion sight of sixgunner.com( this is Jim Taylors sight) as cam a whole slew of the finest revolver levergun buffs you will find on the net.
If you want to meet some fine folks stop on over and set a spell
As well as Jurras you will also find the likes of Tim Sundles of Buffalo bore ammo, Paco Kelly, Jim Taylor, Bob Baker of Freedom arms, Mike Cumptson, John Taffin, and a great many others with vast knowledge of the sixgun in all its forms. Oh by the way over there I am known as Deaf Smith My sass alais seems I got here too late and somebody else beat me to the name<VBG>.

WESHOOT2
December 4, 2001, 05:55 AM
And got me thinking about lighter bullets going really fast..........and now I'm thinking "wonder if the 102g Golden Saber would work in the 38 Special/9x19/9x21/9x23/38 Super/3557 Mag?"

"I don't know -- I'll find out"

mec
December 31, 2001, 06:35 PM
It was another bullet guy who bought into a plan the would allow him not to pay federal income tax. Jurras is WAY too smart to fall for something like that.

Jurass was awarded Outstanding American Handgunner;
Did have the Jurras Bullet Co and then SuperVEl;
Did market some of the Standford designed Automags;
Should not be approached unless you have a thick skin.

MrBlonde
January 1, 2002, 03:36 PM
Wasn't there an article about Mr. Jurras, and his current projects in a fairly recent issue of American Rifleman?