PDA

View Full Version : Removing grips on 3913?

stubby
November 20, 2001, 09:31 AM
I just acquired a 3913 which has the one piece wrap-a-round grips. I intended to remove the grips to do a thorough cleaning but after I had removed the pin, I found that the grips apparently contain some parts in their proper locations, I could feel spring tension on the grip. I replaced the grips without removing them from the frame for fear I would not be able to tell where all the parts are supposed to be. I did not get a manual with the gun. Is it difficult to disassemble the grips from the frame and then get it all back together? What is the proper procedure?? THANKS
:confused:

Hellequin
November 20, 2001, 10:07 AM
Hey Stubby:

I was just about to post the same question for a 6906. Same problem.

Hope we can get the answer.

Best luck. :)

M1911
November 20, 2001, 02:12 PM
Stubby:

Can't help you on the disassembly part, but for a manual, just call up Smith & Wesson. They'll gladly send you a manual for free. They'll probably ask you for your serial number so they can be sure to send you the right manual.

http://www.smith-wesson.com

M1911

Raider
November 22, 2001, 12:24 PM
Stubby and Hellequin

I bought a 3913 for my wife way back when it first came out. S&W had a recall on the original factory grips and sent me a replacement that I put on myself.

The grip is just a 'spring tension' fit onto the grip frame with a raised portion inside the grip fitting into the open portion of the aluminum frame - if this makes any sense. Anyway, you just gently pry the front of the grip up on both sides and then gently press it to the rear. It comes off easily. Don't remember any loose parts to watch out for coming off.

Hope this helps

Raider

plnkr1234
November 23, 2001, 04:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I've take the grips off my 3913 many times, although not recently. IIRC, the heel of the grips combined with the grip pin serves to retain a small metal cup that holds the mainspring and hammer strut. That's probably the tension you felt after you took out the pin.

Nevertheless, it's easy to remove the grips. Just slide it back until the front edge clears the front of the frame and pry the front edges aparts slightly so that the lips that seat into the frame are free and the grip slides off easily. Assemble in reverse order. The grip will automatically push the spring cup and spring into the right position.

It's much easier to do than my explanation probably implies.:rolleyes:

Hellequin
November 24, 2001, 02:07 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I´ll give a try and let you know soon.:)