PDA

View Full Version : S&W square butt to round butt

Hazzmatt
November 17, 2001, 02:29 PM
Hello,
A long long time ago Shooting Times had instructions for modifying a S&W square butt to round butt configuration, but I lost my copy.
Other that the expected grinding, fileing and buffing they mentioned something about the tension screw on the back strap - the hole needed to be countersunk? and maybe the screw needed to be shotened?.
Anyone who has directions for this process I'd appreciate some help. Just bought an old model 10 and I prefer the round butt size & shape.
Thanx,
Hazzmatt

Dfariswheel
November 17, 2001, 08:56 PM
By far and away the easiest thing to do, is just buy a round butt strain screw from Gun Parts, or Brownell's. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks.

James K
November 17, 2001, 09:03 PM
Not sure about the article, but if you are only modifying the backstrap, the strain screw on the front strap shouldn't be involved.

Jim

C.R.Sam
November 18, 2001, 07:02 AM
Seems to me that K-Frame and a few others here do that modification.

Lookin at my grips and frames.....front strap would have to be moved also to make stock round butt grips fit properly. Hence the strain screw issue.

Sam

rhedley
November 18, 2001, 12:40 PM
had a fixture for shaping the grip. It's in a catolog a couple of years back.

Hazzmatt
November 18, 2001, 02:50 PM
Oh yea, it is the front strap not the back strap, hope it did'nt sound as stupid to you as it does to me when I read it. Anyway thanx for the help shoulda known Brownells would have the parts.
Hazzmatt