PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a Hogue overmolded stock

AV1611
November 4, 2001, 03:57 PM
All:

I bought a Hogue overmolded stock for my stainless wood-stocked Mini-14 at a gun show yesterday. (Before anyone asks... Yes it was new in box and yes I have a post 180 serial number Mini-14 for which this Hogue OM stock was made.) My understanding was that Hogue's aftermarket stocks were supposed to be an easy drop-in installation.

I don't know the proper parts terminology, but the metal piece that surrounds the mag well on the Mini-14's absolutely will not fit into the Hogue stock. The mag well is too narrow on the Hogue. By too narrow I mean no amount of pressure will make this thing fit into the mag well. It's at least a good 1/16 of an inch too narrow. The areas cut into the fiberglass in the mag well area obviously do not correspond to the shape of the factory metal mag well liner.

I spent considerable time yesterday making sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I had my factory wood stock as a guide to make sure I was installing the thing right. I'm no gun smith, but I know how to put a puzzle together and these pieces just weren't made to fit together.

The whole trigger mechanism fits the stock like the stock was obviously the right one, but the mag well area seems like it was made for an entirely different rifle.

Please, please help!!! I was so looking forward to admiring no newly gussied up Mini-14 yesterday. Instead, I got nothing but frustration.

AV1611 out...

AV1611
November 6, 2001, 07:32 AM
All:

Apparently the box for my Hogue stock had been opened and the directions were missing. I got everything installed last night. Problem solved. My stainless Mini is a real beaut now.

For future reference to anyone who buys one of the Hogue's... you CANNOT use the factory metal mag well liner. It will not fit in the Hogue stock, nor is it necessary. The Hogue stock is tough as nails and doesn't need one.

AV1611 out...

Gino
November 6, 2001, 03:30 PM
Mind telling me how much you paid? I've been considering the same thing...

AV1611
November 7, 2001, 10:16 AM
I paid about $53 after tax. It looks and feels great. Now I, too, have an EEEVILLLLL black gun!!! Bwa, ha, ha, ha!!!

AV1611 out...