PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE hELP! tHE GOPHERS HAVE TAKEN OVER MY YARD!

adam3
November 4, 2001, 02:57 PM
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A SUBSTANCE THAT DRAWS GOPHERS INTO THE OPEN. i HAVE TRYED CHEMICAL BOMBS, HOSING THEM, STOMPING THEIR TUNNELS, BUT I HAVE YET TO SEE A SINGLE GOPHER. I WOULD LOVE TO SHOOT THEM, BUT YOU CAN'T SHOOT WHAT YOU CAN'T SEE. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Redlg155
November 4, 2001, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry..but for some strange reason the image of Bill Murray in Caddyshack keeps coming to mind!:D

Forgive me for not being of any more help...

Good Shooting
RED

capnrik
November 4, 2001, 03:49 PM
I was once married to a girl who loved her garden. We had a house on three acres, about nine miles out of town. I worked pretty hard at keeping the lawn nice, but I hated working in her garden.

The gophers invaded, and I tried water, biowar, chem warfare, etc. No luck.

Finally, it dawned on me to convince my wife that the gophers would eventually eat the roots in her vegetable garden. (I have no idea that such a thing is possible, but I was very convincing.)

This panicked my bride, and she threw a fit; insisting that I shoot everyone of those *&^%$# pests.;)

Thus, instead of being allowed to help pull weeds, I was forced to sit in the shade with a scoped Winchester Model 74 full of hollowpoints.

This was very thirsty work, and I would usually have a beer or two while keeping a vigil eye out for the intruders.:D

The most memorable kill came on an October afternoon, when we hosted a barbeque for my customers and their families. I was a fishing guide at the time.)

There were about fifty of us sitting under the trees, eating brisket from Dozier's in Fulshear, TX, and sipping suds from the keg.

My neighbors' son dropped his plate, pointed behind me and yelled "GOPHER!". I turned, and sure enough, right in front of my reloading shack sat one of the insidious tunnel rats, looking like he owned the place.

My wife looked horror stricken, and I knew I had to act. Dashing inside, I grabbed the first gun I could find; a Browning Citori 12 gauge O/U.

I ran through the kitchen, hearing customers' wives scream, "Oh my God, he's got a gun!!"

Past the grilled chicken, around the potato salad and hurdling the beer keg, I closed to killing range, dropped to one knee and let him have it.

Both barrels.

Pandemonium ensued. The volleyball game was abandoned, as parents grabbed their children in horror. My brother choked on a piece of chicken and spewed Bud Light through his nostrils.

Larry Bozka, nationally known outdoor writer laughed so hard he dropped his guitar and fell out of his chair.

My wife was ******.

I'm single now, and she still has the house. Word is, she's married to a nice guy that's really handy around the place.

But I'll bet money he never got those gophers.:D

Steve Smith
November 4, 2001, 03:58 PM
Go to the store, buy some Juicy Fruit chewing gum, and put a half stick where ever you you find a tunnel. Hell, put it all over the place (in the tunnels, of course).

They love the tast and it stops 'em up...PERMANANTLY.

Jim March
November 4, 2001, 03:59 PM
Step one: find somebody who has a pet ferret. This will be easy unless you're in Hawaii in which case it'll be close to impossible, or in California where there's at least 250,000 pet ferrets in-state but they're illegal. Anywhere else, pet shops will have 'em.

Step two: collect about pound of ferret poop. Dry, wet, doesn't matter :).

Step three: soak said skinnykitty droppings in a gallon of water for a couple of days. Let it sit in the sun if possible.

Step four: pour the resulting "tea" down the holes.

Congradulations. You just served the gophers an "eviction notice" that they WILL take seriously. Bad news is, they won't even hang around long enough for you to shoot 'em...they'll be GONE.

KSFreeman
November 4, 2001, 04:20 PM
Ferrets are illegal in the People's Republick of Kalifornia? Is anything legal there? Maybe paying taxes is the only legal activity around? Geez.

I'm lucky I know a lot of weasels--mostly from the bar association.

Gophers? Doesn't anyone buy suppressed .22s anymore?

Jim March
November 4, 2001, 04:30 PM
The Petco pet supply chain reported doing $1.25million dollars worth of ferret-related business in the year 2000, in NORTHERN California alone. Ferret toys, feed, diet supplements, the strange triangular litterboxes they like, etc. "Modern Ferret" magazine reports subscription rates in Calif topping any other state, and they deliver in an un-marked plain wrapper.

:rolleyes:

Several ferret websites print maps showing how to get around the California border agricultural inspection stations with your incoming fert.

If EVER anybody needed proof prohibition doesn't work :D.

The seemingly endless ferret legalization war in Sacramento was what got me into grassroots politics in the first place. I once brought the two I used to have into my state Senator's office, his secretary thought they were the cutest dang things she'd ever seen.

Jim

KSFreeman
November 4, 2001, 04:38 PM
"Modern Ferret"??? This is a joke right? There is a magazine for ferret owners--like Cat Fancy or Dog Fancy--that I see at the bodega? It comes to your house like SAR?

Ferrets are against the law in Kalifornia? The police have nothing better to do?

"[meanwhile back at Richmond PD Central Command] O.K., Muldoon. We have word back from the CI inside on this whole ferret dealing conspiracy! Call the District Attorney then the SRT team. Scramble the choppers. Tonight, we're going after March--the ferret kingpin."

[alright, I'll bite. Why triangle shaped?]

Jeff, CA
November 4, 2001, 07:16 PM
From what I've been told, gophers come to the surface through side tunnels, which they block off from the main tunnel before they break through. That's why gas bombs don't work - you're only gassing a short length of side tunnel. You have to dig back until you uncover the main line, and drop the gas in there.

And speaking of ridiculous bans, you can't get kangaroo-hide boots in PRK. I guess the PRK legislature thinks it knows more about kangaroo population management than Australia.

garrettwc
November 4, 2001, 11:20 PM
LMAO:D :D

capnrik that is the funniest thing I have read in weeks.

Redlg155 you beat me to it!

"To catch a gopher, you gotta think like a gopher"

One of my favorite movies

Jim March
November 4, 2001, 11:36 PM
Triangular litter pans: because ferrets raise their little tails and back into corners :D. So you set the litterpan up that way so the litter IS the corner.

What's remarkable is that most cops really don't care about the ban. When I lived in San Francisco and took 'em out all the time to local parks and such, at least 22 cops saw 'em, only one gave me any verbal flak and even he backed off when Felix started licking some kid's face.

The cops that REALLY care are the wardens of the Department of Fish & Game. There was a case in SoCal a few years back, where some guy had a breakup and his ex-SO decided payback meant turning in the uglypuppies. So DFG shows up, bangs on door, demands the ferrets. He tells his "lady" warden to go get a search warrant...whoops, he knows his rights. The warden gets laughed at by multiple Judges astonished at the idea of a weasel raid. So lacking a warrant, she needs to personally see the ferts. So she STAKED OUT HIS HOUSE FOR TWO DAYS. The guy meanwhile calls local ferret activists, they get ahold of the news media, who come out to interview the warden about effective use of police resources. She slunk away with her tail between her legs :D.

See, the ban itself was an old screwup in which the wienercats got declared "wild". They're not, they're true domestic animals from a zoology point of view - a subspecies altered by a human breeding program. DFG and the Commission that runs 'em has a charter that only allows 'em to regulate "wild and feral" mammals. To get around that, the Commission wrote a regulation re-defining "wild" as "any mammal not commonly domesticated in California" - but their charter was written in ENGLISH so the ban itself was illegal from top to bottom.

This is no different from some agency such as BATF defining revolvers as being semi-auto and then harrasing us gunnies on that basis.

In their desperate attempts to cover all this up and deliver max pain to ferret owners, they'll go to ANY lengths. If you're busted with a houseweasel and want to challenge the bust in court, fine, no problem, your ferret will also be present in court.

Dead and pickled.

Your other option is to ship it out of state alive, and plead guilty and (sometimes) pay a small fine.

Anybody want to guess which is more popular?

It's always a horrible idea to have one gov't agency both create "regulations" and enforce them. That's how BATF works, and how DFG operates.

Both bear marked similarities.

Coronach
November 4, 2001, 11:56 PM
Someone somewhere posted about a gopher/prairie dog/groundhog removal process that is as insanely fun as it is dangerous. I've never tried it, but it sounds like it would work. here is what you do:

1. Scout out all of the exit holes from the burrows. Be thorough, this is EXTREMELY important.

2. Cover all but two of the holes with a goodly amount of dirt. Really tamp it down. the two uncovered holes should be far apart, like opposite ends of the tunnel complex if possible. They should also be far away from any, uhm, occupied and/or valuable structures.

3. Build a fire at one of the tunnel mouths. Nothing really big, just a good, long lasting, low-intenisty little fire. The key here is to get open flames that will not burn out for a few hours. This won't work if the fire burns out, and you do NOT want to have to go stoke it up again if you like your eyebrows and dislike Burn Treatment Units.

4. Take a small cylinder of propane, open the valve, and toss it down the other hole.

5. Go someplace else.

:eek:

Like I said, I have no idea if its a good idea, but it sounds like it would at least be effective. Fun too.

Safe is another matter altogether.

Mike

PS In addition to being questionable from a safety perspective, it is also probable that this violates many laws. Use at your own risk.

Vladimir_Berkov
November 5, 2001, 12:43 AM
*** do gophers eat anyways? Perhaps you could place some food and draw them out.

Then it is a simple question of whether or not you want to use the .22 or the .50 BMG!

metro25
November 5, 2001, 02:05 AM
Hair, go to the barber shop and asked for some hair clippings. Drop the clippings into the gopher holes. Gophers are blind and rely on their sense of smell. They smell the hair they'll figure something or somebody is invading their territory. They'll pull chocks and leave.;)

LASur5r+P
November 5, 2001, 03:32 AM
Had a girlfriend in the city and her garden had tons of gophers.
Buddy alerted me to using .22 shorts HP's in a long barreled rifle. Several days of hanging out at her place...we had a lot of ...uhum..."studying" to do anyway to kill time and in between I used the .22 short to pop gophers when they popped their little heads up...close to dusk.

Buddy of mine got rid of his with the reverse trap? The one with the guillotine upside down?

You block as many holes as possible and save two of them...put these little suckers deep and block out all light..the little suckers think that you blocked their holes and go to dig out..."snap!" the trap snaps as hard as a mouse trap and gets them around the neck....they can't go backward because of the trap....bye bye bye, gopher.

Good hunting.

dinosaur
November 5, 2001, 06:25 AM
I use mothballs under the shed to chase groundhogs. They also love cantalope if you want to ahem, trap them.;)

PropellerHead
November 5, 2001, 08:42 AM
A while ago I saw a special on some cable channel that documented some fella that had converted a "street-cleaner" vacuum truck into a giant prarie-dog-sucker. He drove around ranch land in Montana IIRC, and when he found a prarie-dog town, he'd just shove this three-inch diameter hose down one of he holes and turn on the vacuum.

In a minute or two you could watch one of the little suckers slide right up out of their hole and into the foam-padded "tank" on the truck. They also showed him "gearing up" with thick leather gloves to go in and retrive the angry little furball.

I guess they are then sold as pets in Japan.

I thought is was simply ingenious! :D

(Not quite sure how to apply the idea in this situation though....)

jimpeel
February 27, 2002, 02:09 AM
There is a plant that you can get at any nursery called a "gopher plant" You [plant a few of those around the yard and Voila! they disappear.

I had a thought for a "gopher getter" several years ago. You take a board and mount a piece of galvanized water pipe on it that is capped on one end and has a hole in the side of the pipe at the cap. You then run a squib, like that used to ignite model rockets through the hole and then load the pipe with black powder and BB shot with appropriate wadding.

You then make a wire trigger that looks sorta like one of those Easter egg dippers that come with the coloring kits that runs through a couple of guides along the side of the pipe. The end of the barrel of the pipe should be centered on the loop in the wire. The other end goes to a switching mechanism that will complete the circuit from a battery to the squib.

You then place the device in a hole dug along the tunnel with the muzzle facing into the hole and then hook up the battery. Cover the thing with a board to exclude all light and wait for the BOOM!

When the little dear comes racing up the tunnel, he bumps the wire and the pipe fires the BB shot through the wire actuator and then his little brain.

The only reason I never made one of these is bacause I have always lived in populous areas and I wouldn't want a kid to get hold of this thing.

I once had gophers in my yard and I worked at a company that machined quite a bit of magnesium. I stuffed the hole with mag, stuffed a lighted highway flare down the hole and then stuffed the hose of the vacuum cleaner, on BLOW, down the hole. The ground was glowing before I was done and the little B------ never showed up again. If you lack the mag, you can just use a highway flare. Don't expect the ground to glow, though. The vacuum blows the superheated air down the hole so fast they don't have time to plug the hole when they smell the fumes like they do with gopher bombs.

Penman
February 27, 2002, 02:19 AM
The juicy fruit gum is supposed to work well on moles also. My father-in-law used to raise great crops of molehills on his lawn, and tried flooding, shooting (poking a hole down a freshly forming molehill with a stick and then sticking the barrel of his 6.5 Carcano down there and touching one off. The concussion usually got them. He gave up on all that fun when he found out about the Juicy Fruit.

Khornet
February 27, 2002, 06:56 AM
Embedding beer or wine bottles (empty them first) in the soil with about 3-4" of neck sticking up. Wind across the mouth makes sounds gophers don't like, something like the effect of the sound of "shall not be infringed" on Rosie.

Justin Moore
February 27, 2002, 09:12 AM
Have you tried setting some claymores? Granted, you would have to conduct some recon to catch when they pop up out of the holes, to time setting off the ordinance :p

spark@onestopknifeshop.com
February 27, 2002, 11:11 AM
Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Mikul
February 27, 2002, 11:22 AM
My brother-in-law shoots them with an AR-15 from his porch. It rolls what's left of them about 15 yards accross the field.

Steve Smith
February 27, 2002, 11:26 AM
No feret poop, no flames, no guns in gun0unfriendly neighborhoods. Just chewing gum. Juicy Fruit, specifically.

Get yourself a big pack of gum. Drop half a stick in the holes and in the tunnels...wherever you can. Soon enough, there will be no more gophers. They get all stopped up and can't "go."

Justin Moore
February 27, 2002, 12:24 PM
Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Kevin,

Great minds think alike, eh? :D

Azrael256
February 27, 2002, 01:05 PM
Claymores *might* work, but satchel charges really are better suited to that kind of demo work. The wife (if there is one) may not be too happy about blowing up the house, tho... but hey, you can always build a new house, how many opportunities do you have to reduce the rodent population with satchel charges?

Tropical Z
February 27, 2002, 01:25 PM
For us city slickers,wouldn't a .177 air rifle do the trick?
I never shot one,but somebody must know what they are capable of taking out.

pawcatch
February 27, 2002, 01:52 PM
I can't believe no one suggested the most logical solution.Trap them.
There are several good types of humane quick kill gopher traps including the the Death Clutch,easy set,Macabee,and Lanesboro.
Just do a search for trapping supplies on the net.

Long Path
February 27, 2002, 02:12 PM
Well, this is an odd and varied thread. Let's see what the folks in The Hunt can contribute to this issue....

Aion
February 27, 2002, 03:21 PM
http://www.stormbirds.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SA&Category_Code=AC

- Aion

Kingcreek
February 27, 2002, 04:49 PM
LMAO with capnrik's tale!
Reminds me of the time 3 of the Garden Club Ladies brought my wife home after the monthly meeting and she offered them an impromtu tour of her flower beds and landscaping. As the 4 well-dressed flowerlovers came round the house I crawled out of one of the flowerbeds, dirt streaked, bug-bitten and armed with a .22 Buckmark Silhouette w 4x Leupold.
"good afternoon, Ladies. er..,uh.. gopher patrol"
Wife didn't speak to me for 2 days.

redneck
February 27, 2002, 05:09 PM
This is another fairly dangerous suggestion, but it should be extremely fun ;) I heard about it for ground hogs, but I imagine it would work for gophers, you may have to do it a couple times at different holes though.

Anyway, you'll need five gallons of gas or so, a funnel and a very long hose. And a lighter or matches.

Step one: feed the hose into the hole as far as you can. Then reel it out so your as far from the hole as possible, it helps if you uphill also.

Step two: funnel the gas into the hose. Let it sit for a while to make sure it has run all the way down into the hole, and has had a chance to fume up. At least with ground hogs, they won't come out of teh hole if they know something or someone is near by.

Step Three: Hold the match up to the end of the hose, one of the long household lighters or a burning stick might be better.

The result should be a large explosion, in the hole that will push the ground up all the along the tunnels and cave it in. Should also be very lethal for any critters in the hole at the time.

Or, another idea

Take a look at all the holes you can find. Pick the one that you think is being used the most ( ground wil be dug up going in and out, grass or plants wil be smashed down at the mouth, fresh dirt etc.) Now, drop smoke bombs into all the other holes, get them down into the hole as far as possible, and cover them with something if you can. You want as much smoke building up in there as possible. Once thats done, camp out at the mouth of the hole that is well traveled with a shotgun .22 or any other weapon you choose. Be prepared for them to be moving quick if they come out at all.

pawcatch
February 27, 2002, 05:56 PM
How effective is shooting going to be?
www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com

Quartus
February 27, 2002, 06:50 PM
Probably a lot less effective than the propane and gasoline bombs mentioned earlier. Less effective at blowing up your house, that is.

I've noted the Juicy Fruit idea for future reference, should I ever need it. Non-toxic and non dangerous. If it works, why look further?

pawcatch
February 27, 2002, 07:23 PM
It's also going to be a lot less effective than trapping,which is perfectly safe.
Gopher traps go in the ground way from the sight of curious people.

JosephBoeckner
February 27, 2002, 07:42 PM
a .177 caliber air rifle scoped is VERY accurate at the distances uw ould be shooting and would kill them instantly if u do ur part-(head on the spot or vitals-a tiny bit later)-I have used one for starling erradication in our neighborhood because htey have been infesting-it does the job and very quietly with a tasco 3-7x20mm scope its low profile and the gun is a daisy powerline bought at walmart for 40 bucks-it has fiber optic sight which wasnt shooting straight when we got it-so scoped it and then it shoots awesome-i head shoot them and they fall on teh spot at up to around yards-(not joking) if u aim good u can put it through the neck or skull-this gun goes abuot 700 fps with 10 pumps..at 5 pumps it doesnt scare them as much and is a LOT quieter-both pluses and u dont give up anything if ur shooting them in the head-and less distance traveled if u miss-

Master Blaster
February 27, 2002, 09:42 PM
In College we had gophers that lived out back of the dorm. The Janitor fed them stale bread. They used to come running at the time he put it out on the back hill after breakfast.

Leave them some bread and after a week or two they will be easy to remove via .22 CB caps or subsonic, it pretty quiet out of a bolt action or even a semi auto rifle.;)

Zorro
February 28, 2002, 12:13 AM
Cyanide Gas!

Be Careful this is extremely dangerous!

But I always liked playing with explosives! So what the heck!

Seal off all the holes you can find.

Fill a GLASS! Beaker or bowl with about a quart of concentrated Sulfuric acid! Caution Sulfuric acid alone is quite dangerous! You can get it from plumbing supply shops, rubber gloves are advised.

And from a chemical supply house 500 Grams of Sodium Cyanide or Potassium Cyanide! Caution both are extremely poisionous!

Do the next thing VERY quickly!

Put the cyanide in a paper bag, and have a cover ready for the gopher hole.

Place the acid bowl in the gopher hole.

Then place the Cyanide in the acid.

Cover hole and LEAVE THE AREA! For say 8 hours or so!

Come back remove covers and try not to breathe!

Smelling "Almonds" is NOT good at this point!

Let holes air for say 8 hours.

Presto all gophers will be dead along with all the earthworms around the area, and any nosy cats!

Cyanide kills by disrupting the Krebs ATP cycle, quite painless actually like turning off the power to a light bulb! :D

urban assault
February 28, 2002, 01:43 AM
I have been told that gophers are very inbred and that as a result are all hemophiliacs. When I heard that, I immediately busted up some old fluro light tubes and put them down every gopher hole in my yard. 1 week later, no more gophers. They get a slight nick or cut and bleed to death in the tunnels. The beauty of the broken glass is that it never loses its potency, it will still be sharp years later for the next batch of the little bastards. All I know is that this worked for us. Good luck!

michael

Art Eatman
February 28, 2002, 01:49 AM
This is the dangdest set of recipes for enjoyable horribles I've seen in three years of TFL.

From the bottom of my heart, Thank You, All!

:D, Art

Zorro
March 24, 2002, 12:59 AM
Bump! This got lost in the Forum outage.

capnrik
May 18, 2004, 04:27 PM
So tell us Adam3, did you ever get rid of the gophers?

gyp_c2
May 18, 2004, 04:58 PM
Cyanide Gas!

Be Careful this is extremely dangerous!

But I always liked playing with explosives! So what the heck!

Seal off all the holes you can find.

Fill a GLASS! Beaker or bowl with about a quart of concentrated Sulfuric acid! Caution Sulfuric acid alone is quite dangerous! You can get it from plumbing supply shops, rubber gloves are advised.

And from a chemical supply house 500 Grams of Sodium Cyanide or Potassium Cyanide! Caution both are extremely poisionous!

Do the next thing VERY quickly!

Put the cyanide in a paper bag, and have a cover ready for the gopher hole.

Place the acid bowl in the gopher hole.

Then place the Cyanide in the acid.

Cover hole and LEAVE THE AREA! For say 8 hours or so!

Come back remove covers and try not to breathe!

Smelling "Almonds" is NOT good at this point!

Let holes air for say 8 hours.

Presto all gophers will be dead along with all the earthworms around the area, and any nosy cats!

Cyanide kills by disrupting the Krebs ATP cycle, quite painless actually like turning off the power to a light bulb!

...nope but they put some of the above together and have been REAL QUIET lately...

K80Geoff
May 20, 2004, 08:57 AM
gophers! (http://www.gopher.digisle.tv/)

:D

sm
May 20, 2004, 03:42 PM
:D
ROFL
Thanks!!

Detachment Charlie
May 23, 2004, 05:43 PM
The Juicy Fruit thing works...however, it's not as much fun as this....
#1. Get a lawyer..a good one.
#2. Get cash for bail.
#3. Send wife to sisters for weekend.
#4. Locate main tunnel.
#5. Flood main tunnel overnight.
#6. 1/2 sticks of dynamite, primacord, shooter.
I doubt if I have to detail the rest. FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!

Oh, like #2-A = Buy beer. :D

rwilson452
June 13, 2004, 10:36 PM
Those windmill things that make a clicking sound seem to work well. the noise really irritates them. This solution is not as much fun and the folks next door might not like you anymore.

myopicmouse
August 11, 2004, 05:01 PM
1/Use ferrets.
2/Fun way - Pour petrol down the holes and wait while the vapour goes throughout then 'nape it' or dynamite.
3/Block up all the holes, that way you have time to see them trying to gig out...leaving you with a nice headshot when the emerge.
------------------------------
I ran through the kitchen, hearing customers' wives scream, "Oh my God, he's got a gun!!"

Past the grilled chicken, around the potato salad and hurdling the beer keg, I closed to killing range, dropped to one knee and let him have it.

Both barrels.

Pandemonium ensued. The volleyball game was abandoned, as parents grabbed their children in horror. My brother choked on a piece of chicken and spewed Bud Light through his nostrils.

Hahah, Jesus talk about being discrete. Very funny story.

eviltravis
August 11, 2004, 10:02 PM
Here in Montana gophers are a huge problem, and a great source of entertainment. The ranchers and the farmers both just hate em. I've spent many a saturday zooking the little buggers with my ruger 10/22. I've used the AR15, but that gets expensive pretty quick. I've shot fields with a buddy of mine where we'll expend upwards of 2000 rounds in a day. Now we're not hitting critters with every shot, but I'd bet we've hit alot more than we missed. Someone recomended trapping, can't remeber the name. I don't know why that would work so good though. You still gotta kill em, and there nasty little buggers. I just shoot them in the field and leave them lay. There buddies will eat them, or the crows. Some times the darn things will start to eat their buddies before they even stop twitchin. As far as making pets of them, I can't say I'd recomend that either. Some of the gophers here carry plague. I wouldn't want that in my house. Anyways, if you have gophers just shoot them and be done. They always come back eventually, but if you thin them out, it takes them a couple of years to get back up again. They are definetally a renewable resource. :rolleyes:

K80Geoff
August 12, 2004, 11:18 AM
The juicy fruit gum thing is for moles, not gophers. And Purdue University spent a lot of Federal grant money to test if it works...it does not.

I have used a product called Gopher Getter, looks like a big firecracker and has a fuse you light. Gives off a foul odor. You place it in the burrow light it and seal the burrow with the thingy in it. Seal off all the burrows you can find. It works. Used it for rats in NYC housing projects where bait was not a good idea. Smells bad though.

JerryM
August 12, 2004, 10:20 PM
I once had a gopher in my yard, and I finally got two gopher traps, found his tunne, set one each direction, and caught the gopher. The cat ate him legs and all.
You're going to laugh at this, but I had a neighbor who had one, and she had been told to get the little whirly birds on a stick, and put a couple around where he was. She did and he left. I don't know if it was coincidence or what. I also read somewhere that it would work, but I used the traps.

I tried water and poison grain, and nothing worked.

Go get a couple of gopher traps.

Jerry

claude783
September 10, 2004, 01:08 PM
OK, watched this trick while I was in Viet Nam and used it to catch ground squirrels.

Also used it to feed a buddy's snake...

Take a gallon, GLASS, pickle jar.

Fill with water.

Tip it upside down over the gopher hole, and as the water drains into the hole the gopher will pop out into the jar spitting, coughing out water.

Add lid, spray in a little car starting fluid, wait till said animal dies...repeat as necessary!

The second method would be to go and gather castor beans...they grow wild here in the People's Republic...be careful as they are considered a WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION so even getting caught with the beans might present a problem.

Wear gloves, do not handle (scent, not danger) and put a few of the beans in and a round the gopher holes...a few days all will be right with the world!

Rolkin
October 26, 2004, 11:26 AM
My dad just used soapy water and poured it over the tunnels, seems to **** them off and he'd pop them when they'd come out of the tunnel with his airgun.

I have a 5 acre yard though and it's filled with the little buggers so I'm not sure what to do there must be tunnel across 4 of the 5 acres ... and that's alot of ground to cover.

Sneevil
October 26, 2004, 11:45 AM
http://www.rodenator.com/

I've been thinking about quitting my day job, buying one of these and going into business. :D

Rolkin
October 26, 2004, 12:36 PM
Wow all that and a price tag of only $1900 :) does look kinda fun though

Rmouleart
October 27, 2004, 02:00 PM
A sure fire method to get rid of gophers, breakup juicy fruit gum around there holes, they will eat it, then pug up there plumbing and die, works every time, works great on mice and moles also, I learned it from a old farmer, he said it was crude but worked great, I guess outside it would work great, but in the house the mice might die in the walls;) you might get a awful scent coming out of the walls in a month or so LOL. Aim Small hit small. RAMbo.

FirstFreedom
November 16, 2004, 12:45 PM
ferret legalization war

You guys are really tacklin the tough issue out there in Cali, eh Jim? ;)

JK. Praytell, WHY are they illegal? Are the a nuisance if they escape I'm guessing - getting into people's trash, etc.?