PDA

View Full Version : Paint a mini 14 stock

popeye
November 2, 2001, 10:18 AM
I picked up a spare stock for my mini 14. I want to try painting it camo. I have no experience with this. Any suggestions? I know choate makes a fiber stock in camo but it's $80. If it doesn't turn out I'll just do overall O.D. or sand. Should I clear coat it?

Cain R
November 5, 2001, 01:44 AM
I've painted a few wood stocks, not camo just basic black. Strip the factory finnish off with 80 - 100 grit sandpaper. Duplicolor makes a very hard spray-on bed liner product in spray bombs for about 6.00 each, avialable at Wal-Mart, one can will do a single rifle easily. Hang the stock and give it about 6 light coats of paint. The finnish turns to a very light crinkle semi-gloss. After this I usually spray in two or three light coats of a high grade semi gloss laquer to seal every thing. Looks great.

Bottom Gun
November 5, 2001, 11:55 AM
I painted an AR-15 Tiger Stripe camo one time. It came out great.

First I degreased the gun with rubbing alcohol, then I sprayed it with OD paint. After the paint dried, I painted stripes on it with a wide black felt pen. It really turned out well. The paint wore well without chipping off, etc.

Later, when I got tired of it, I took the paint off using Gumout.

Wildwilley
November 6, 2001, 04:52 PM
I was a Sign painter for a bunch of years.
I started customing stocks and guns when I got hurt to pick up some extra cash.
I had air brushes but you can do the same work with spray cans.
Degrease the stock.
Add a texture if you want. You can buy those in a can and they are reasonable.
Spray at least two coats of base coat. (OD, Brown, Tan, etc.)
Get some adhesive-clear shelf plastic. Cut our a bunch of shapes and lay them on the stock. Work from light colors to dark. Finish with black.
I did a real nice real tree effect with green leaves that I sprayed with adhesive and stuck to the stock.
I sprayed my base coat and worked in a striped pattern. I did a green stripe, brown stripe, grey stripe, etc. Then pealed off the leaves.
Spray the leaves with glue and then stick them on an old pair of jeans. It pulls off the fuzz but is still sticky and doesn't leave glue on the stock.
It's a cheep way to get out of it. Make sure you use the same brand of paint. Some paints don't mix and will craze and peel on you. Buff with oooo steel wool and cover with a flat clear coat.
If your hunting with it. Set it outside or in the garage for a week.