PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy in fully rifled slug barrels???

fireals
October 21, 2001, 10:35 PM
Looking at a fully rifled cantilever slug barrel.

How do they shoot? 1? 2? 3? moa? I'm assuming saboted slugs will shoot better than conventional slugs.

As on option, anyone have any experience with the rifled choke tubes? did you see any improvement over the smooth bore?

Third question. Has anyone ever tried the scope mount for an 870 that mounts on the receiver? I'm questioning the accuracy of this due to the way the barrel is not attached to the receiver. Seems like there'd be enough play there to reduce the accuracy that you'd expect from a scoped gun.

Thanks for any input.

Ed

Dave McC
October 22, 2001, 04:08 AM
Sabots can oft shoot very well in rifled bbls, but MOA slug guns are as scarce as honest politicians. Maybe even scarcer.

I've seen claims of 2 MOA at 100 yards, but haven't seen the targets. 3-4" groups seem to be common, and not much better than smoothbores, it at all. Good benchshooters with 12 gauges are also scarce. Not many people are good benchers with 375 H&H Mags, either.

I've had little success with those saddle mounts,
most seem to lose zero every dozen shots or so. Also, scopes other than the very best tend to bust pretty regularly from the recoil.Hpwever, the average hunter needs a setup that works for a few shots, and the saddle mounts will do.

Olf threads here on setting up slug guns,etc, should provide plenty of info.

Shok
October 22, 2001, 01:16 PM
The best I've seen is 2" at 100 yards. Dave is right 3"-4" normal. I get 5"-6" with my smoothebore shooting rifled slugs at 100yards, no scope just two beads.

Shok