PDA

View Full Version : 870 w/ rifled barrel. What slug to use?

Krom
October 21, 2001, 02:38 PM
I have a 20ga 870 with a rifled barrel. I am going deer hunting this year, and was wondering what rounds you guys would suggest i use. Last year i shot a nice 10pt using Rottwiel(sp?) slugs. Since i have a rifled barrel, should i be using a sabot? Thanks alot guys.

Coronach
October 21, 2001, 11:31 PM
IIRC, the rule is as follows:

Rifled slugs in a smooth barrel, sabots in a rifled barrel

Sorry, I don't hunt and I've only ever used smoothbore SG barrels. But I do know how to pronounce sabot. :D

Mike

Dave McC
October 22, 2001, 04:14 AM
The 20 ga Rottweil Brenneke may be one of the best all time deer rounds. VERY effective. Sabots are oft quite accurate, but results are not quite on par with the full bore diameter slugs.

The ONLY way to find the best load for you and your 870 is benchtesting. Old threads here will give you more input.

Krom
October 22, 2001, 11:30 AM
Great. Thanks for the replys, now im gonna do a search on the old threads.

Shok
October 22, 2001, 12:59 PM
Coronach is right "Rifled slugs in a smooth barrel, sabots in a rifled barrel". You shoot lead through a rifled barrel it will lead up and the accuracy will be horrible. Know a guy who did it and it took forever to get the lead out.

I get 6" group at 100yards with smoothbore and rifled slugs. While rifled barrel with sabot gets 2" groups at 100yards.

Good luck,

Shok