PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

Viperbl1
October 15, 2001, 11:42 AM
Hey guys!

Well, I couldn't WAIT to get to the range this weekend! After reading all your helpful advice, I grabbed my new Nova, and four boxes of ammo, and headed to the trap range. It had been raining all day, but the sky turned blue, and the storm clouds went away, as we were signing up. Unloaded the guns, stepped up to the 16 yard point, and it POURED down rain!! I was so ******, I stood out there shooting for half an hour in the rain! Couldn't see a darn thing, and I THINK I hit one bird, but finally I gave up and left, because I was just wasting ammo.

Now fast forward to Sunday, and it was STILL pouring down rain! However, around 1:30 it cleared up and I SPED to the patterning board. Based on what I had heard from some here, I had picked up a few boxes of Superspeed Winchester loads, and a few of the AA Handicap loads. I also had some Super X still on hand from a few weeks ago. The double A handicap patterned pretty tight from 35 yards with the modified choke. The Super X patterned slightly wider, but not by much. The Super Speed patterned slightly low, and a thinner spread. Now my question is, are the slightly tighter patterns of the AA worth paying the higher price for? I know nothing of patterns etc, so I need a little advice here. I seemed to hit at about 80% all day when trap shooting, and I was using random loads shoved in my pocket. The Super Speed is 2.98 a box of 25 at Walmart, and the AA is 4.99. I used a modified choke, and had a GREAT day! But now it's hard for me to wait for next weekend! Thanks!

CW

DOCSpanky
October 15, 2001, 01:36 PM
Welcome to the clays addict club;)

I am now hooked buying extended chokes, relaoder & accessories. The only problem I have had with the super speed's is they seem to have a little more difficulty cycling the action on my Browning. Fail maybe 1 in 500 shots. I now reload my own at a cost of $2.44 a box! And this is for a higher quality duplicate of the factory AA load. NEVER had a problem with AA's.

DOC

... feel the call of extended chokes...... "but honey I need those Briley chokes to hit the really long ones:rolleyes: "

Dave McC
October 15, 2001, 02:38 PM
It depends on where you're going with it,CW.

Trap loads are the most throroughly researched and tested ammo on the planet. The best components are used, hard, perfectly round shot, primers of closely matched brisance, etc. These give optimum patterns at the 35-40 yard area where most trap birds are broken or missed.

OTOH, the cheap stuff has soft shot, greater tolerances on powder, primer and wad, and in general, give more open patterns with more flyers out of it, and may develop holes out there 35-40 yards.

If you're out to have fun and to get better at shooting, buy the cheap stuff and get more shots for the same money.

If you really want to know how well you can shoot, get those AAs and eliminate some variables.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't do both at various stages.

I went with Plan B when I started into trap. When I miss,I know it's me and not the gun, load, weather, or phase of the moon. Costs more, steeper learning curve.

Enjoy, and let's hope they never come up with a 12 step program for this...