PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever hear of, or try, a "New Zealand slug"?

Jeff, CA
October 6, 2001, 11:17 AM
If I understood the description correctly, to make a NZS, you score a ring around the hull of a shot load just below the wad, so when it's fired, the wad, shot, and the forward half of the hull (with crimp still closed) go downrange as a single projectile.

Anyone ever hear of this?

Dave McC
October 6, 2001, 12:25 PM
Yeah, but I sure don't recommend it. Repeated use would find a ring scored in the chamber, with extraction more difficult.

The old time method of making an impromptu slug is melting tallow and pouring it over the shot, then closing the crimp with an overshot wad.

SDC
October 9, 2001, 10:05 AM
Yes, I've heard of this one before too. Indians up north would do this when they ran across something that needed more punch than the birdshot they were using, but you're risking your eyesight, fingers, face, and any other bodily parts you might want to keep when you do this. It's like firing a slug through a full-choke barrel, and if you happen to try it in a weak-actioned firearm (or one that you value), something is likely to give. For the trouble that carrying an extra slug or two is, this trick simply isn't worth it.

fed168
October 9, 2001, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a stomping from the All Blacks.

Al Thompson
October 9, 2001, 12:12 PM
Fed168 - ???

Giz

fed168
October 9, 2001, 01:03 PM
The All Blacks are New Zealand's national rugby team. They had a rep for being tough. Threw the comment in for our compatriots across the pond.

Al Thompson
October 9, 2001, 06:28 PM
Ah Ha..... Thanks!