PDA

View Full Version : Training videos & schools for shotgun selfdefense.

Sidetracker
October 5, 2001, 04:50 AM
I'm buying a Remington 870 for defensive use and would like to know of any good training videos & schools. I'm new to shotguns and am wondering if I show up at a shotgun range with my 870 with the extended magazine(8 rnd.) will I get odd looks from the sporting guys? I know I need to shoot to get familiar with the weapon. So, any advice on learning to shoot shotguns is appreciated.

Dave McC
October 5, 2001, 05:49 AM
At your local library under Dewey Decimal System #799 are books on guns and hunting. Basic info mostly, or esoteric stuff about partridge hunting.

You may get some strange looks at the range, but as Great Uncle Sal would say, "Fuggidaboudit". Shoot safely and there should be little problem. Do check with the staff first, one otherwise excellent facilty, PGC bans all bbls less than 23" because of the greater blast. Since they permit any form of ported bbls, which are oft louder, it's nonsense but still is their policy.

There's a number of good schools, and instructors, but you have to walk before you run. I suggest taking a basic course in Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays. Familiarity with and learning to handle your weapon in short time frame scenarios is priceless. Few folks move past bare minimum competence with a shotgun that do not like shooting and do so recreationally.

HTH...

KSFreeman
October 5, 2001, 07:17 PM
At TR's DHG II in May 2001 I met a man who had attended TR 21 times. His favorite class was the shotgun class. Enough for me.

See you there, scattergunner. P.S.--get a light on it, but I, unlike the exSfers, SEALs, Seolus Scouts SAS or RLI that I shoot with, cannot see in the dark.

Shawn Dodson
October 6, 2001, 12:22 AM
Two good videos:

1) The Combat Shotgun with Louis Awerbuck (Paladin Press, http://www.paladinpress.com )

2) Shotgun C.Q.B featuring C.J. Caracci (L.O.T.I. Group, http://www.navysealteams.com )

Both videos are approximately 90 minutes in duration.

The Awerbuck video covers Remington 870 and 11-87, plus Benelli S90. He covers basic gunhandling and gunfighting techniques.

The Caracci video is tactics oriented -- more so than any of the other shotgun videos I've viewed, including Gunsite (both the old and new videos) and Thunder Ranch.

EricO
October 9, 2001, 12:13 PM
I'll second Dodson's advice on the videos. The Gunsite shotgun video is fairly well done and covers many aspects well. The Shotgun CQB video by Caracci is, as Dodson says, oriented towards "clearing" tactics and is interesting as well. I have Awerbucks book on the shotgun, and it is not as "in depth" as I would've liked, or assumed it to be, since he is considered by many to be a fabulous shotgun trainer. I'd love to take a class from him in the future.

The local gun club I belong to actually has several defensive minded 8hr (short time, low cost) courses, with shotgun or handgun, that would be ideal for a novice to take. I think more clubs should offer these courses to dispel many of the myths that are prevalent about self-defensive use of firearms, and there are many.

I also believe that this would be an excellent followup to taking trap, skeet, etc basic courses because many techniques I've seen sport shooters do (loading, etc) aren't the same as what's taught for self defense use.

EricO