PDA

View Full Version : The "Recoiless" Browning....

Dave McC
October 3, 2001, 09:55 AM
I'd had committments that kept me from attending my Tuesday morn Geezer League yesterday but slid over there later for some badly needed practice.

There I ran across an old gentleman who had one of these, the "Recoiless" Browning, which is a very wierd looking SBT. Long and lean, with a collar around the muzzle, it seems to be a bolt action. On my query, he told me that with 1 oz loads, kick was almost nothing. He shot it well, BTW.

This gent kindly consented to letting me handle it. While it weighed over 9 lbs, it handled fast. More like a quail gun than a trap howitzer.

Over on trapshooters.com, there's a thread comparing this model and the Dynokick, by Ljutic.
One guy claims they break down a lot.

Anyone know much about this?If there's technology capable of reducing kick that much, we should be hearing about it.

Thanks...

Benjamin
October 3, 2001, 11:18 AM
Yes. My father has one.

It is long and heavy.

He has run over 5,000 reloads thru it in approximately 16 months of shooting.

It cannot be disassembled for cleaning, to the best of our knowledge. The only PM that he does is to clean the bore with a boresnake, and to lube the bearing points on the barrel, where the collar you mentioned is.

They really do reduce the kick that much. Some shooters have said it's akin to a .30 carbine, so have said it's akin to a .22

When last I tried it, I was too scrawny to handle it properly. It was just long and awkward.

Edit - sorry, missed the main point. No, has not broken down. No problem at all thus far. Is slightly picky about shells being resized properly.

Dave McC
October 4, 2001, 06:14 AM
Thanks,Ben. I found this one intriguing. I wonder just what it uses to drop the kick.

Benjamin
October 4, 2001, 10:46 AM
The entire barrel assembly moves forward as it is fired - it then is pulled/pushed (unsure of terminology) back with recoil of discharging cartridge - if I recall things correctly.

If this post is edited in 5 minutes, it means that my mind has cleared.

Dave McC
October 4, 2001, 11:24 AM
Thanks. On that mentioend thread, one guy mentions the Ljutic Dynokick has a very heavy firing pin,the thing moves forward as the sear releases and gives the gun a kick forward ATST as the recoil shoves it back.