PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 391 Question: is the guy at my local gun store full of crap?

SpazzTrap
September 28, 2001, 06:05 PM
I have been looking at getting a Beretta Urika Trap (maybe even the Gold model) with the 32" bbl. Today at the local store, the guy said that they would not be able to get one from Beretta until next SPRING:eek: What's up with that? He told me that any Berettas on the shelf are pretty much all they will get...go figure..they just so happen to have a 30" bbl Parallel Target model in stock at a good price, but I'm not sure I like the Monte Carlo stock.

Anyway...it seems odd to me that one of the most popular brands and models would take that long to get for a decent sized dealer...is this guy pulling my leg, and just trying to push in-stock stuff? He kept talking about the terrorist thing and how guns and ammo might not be available soon, so I should grab what I can. This ****** me off, because I'm sure he does it with first timer's in there, thus helping create this artificial "rush" on guns. I mean, c'mon, I'm not gonna go buy a 1200 dollar specialty competition SG for home defense. Also, for any gun in that price range, I'm not gonna settle for what's in stock...I want what I want.

Sorry this turned into a rant, I'm just curious about availability of Beretta Autos...anyone who has experience buying a "not normally stocked" model would be very helpful in this case.

Thanks,

Kevin

K80Geoff
September 28, 2001, 06:50 PM
I doubt very seriously that the 391 is in short supply. Sporting Clays shooters have been snapping them up and Beretta likes to make money. The gun is popular and has a great reputation. They probably are not a Beretta dealer and have to get guns through another dealer. Probably do not make much on the guns, therefore not willing to stock them.

Sounds like typical gun store clerk "salesmanship"

My $.02, adjusted for inflation.

Geoff Ross

SpazzTrap
September 28, 2001, 06:57 PM
Thanks Geoff, but they are a Beretta dealer, probably the biggest in San Jose.

They have about 10 field grade 391s in various configs...it just ticks me off that they are so freaking evasive and unknowledgable about their own products. Either that, or they just want to push whats on the shelf. That's fine if I'm talking about an 870 express or something, but they should realize that this is more of a specialty gun I'm looking for. God they make me mad...in fact MOST of the gun stores out here have the attitude of: there aren't many gun stores, so take it or leave it...screw 'em. I can go to any number of stores and walk out with a 28" bbl regular field gun, but am having real trouble finding any of the competition models to even look at, much less buy.

Anyone know of any good online Beretta Dealers?

Thanks,

Kevin

HK1
September 28, 2001, 08:33 PM
they may be right..I just looked at getting a new browning and in fact called browning customer service...heard the same from them as I did from the dealer...6months or longer to get...I dunno...the guy in this case may be telling you the truth...some of the custom guns are only built a few times per year and in very limited numbers..,my 2 cents..HK-out

Mr.X
September 28, 2001, 11:19 PM
SPAZZ......try this website. :)

http://www.joeletchenguns.com/

Bam Bam
September 29, 2001, 08:34 AM
Try Jaqua's in Ohio. He has hundreds of shotguns. And the prices are reasonable. He'll ship.

Will Beararms
September 29, 2001, 11:10 AM
Mabye Beretta is sick of dealing with the idocy of laws in California with all due respect. In texas, they are on every corner. Could be the 32" Barrel.

David Park
September 29, 2001, 11:15 AM
Take this with a grain of salt, since I heard it from the guy in Walmart sporting goods (to be fair, it's the only Wally World in the region that can special-order gun stuff). He said that the big shotgun manufacturers tool up and build all their guns in the spring. Then they ship everything they have to various distributors. Big chains like Walmart probably buy direct from the factory. Then, if they sell out of a model in the fall, they're out, since their warehouse doesn't have any stock and neither does the maker. Of course that doesn't mean that the store down the street won't have plenty in stock, it just makes it harder to special order particular models (which is what I was asking about).

K80Geoff
September 29, 2001, 11:20 AM
Try www.colegun.com

or www.seminolegun.com

They both deal with the Sporting Clays crowd and both sell guns. Cole is THE place to go for parts for Berettas.

Geoff Ross

SpazzTrap
September 29, 2001, 11:55 AM
God, that place has over ten in stock as we speak, at good prices (832 for the regular trap or parallel target, 991 for the Gold Trap). It's funny, my wfe is from Lima, which is less than 30 miles from Findlay, Oh. My Father in law goes there all the time for SCs stuff, he never let on that they had such a HUGE selection.

thanks for everyones help.

Spazz

Dave McC
October 1, 2001, 06:59 AM
One side note....

Outside of court,or Happy Hour down at the Dew Drop Inn, more pure Caca Del Toro gets spouted by gun shop employees than anywhere else. A whole mess of them are less than qualified to provide "expert" advice, and some simply are out to make a sale.

A decade or so back, an older man I knew, of slight build and zero gun knowledge, was sold an overpriced S&W Model 27 w/ 4" bbl as a CCW gun. While a good piece, and mild recoiling with target WCs for practice, it was as easy for him to hide as a box of Wheaties. When I last heard,he has a Colt DS of some age for carry and the 27 serves as a house gun.

Other gun shop employees have shown sheer, unbelieveable ignorance when it comes to ammo selection, ambidextrous use, effective range, and a host of other concerns.

One I overheard stated that the best defensive ammo for a handgun was the little shot loads sold for snake control and loaded with #12 shot. "Just go for the eyes"....

Another stated repeatedly that FMJ HAD to be the best ammo for defense since it's what the military uses.

Back to subject, while I'm not looking for them, it seems plenty of Beretta autos are for sale here.