PDA

View Full Version : Hogue Compstock - Thumbs Up!

MH
September 22, 2001, 04:05 PM
I wanted a sleek, quick handling home defense shotgun. I selected the Winchester defender 1300 at 6 & 3/8 lb. Instead of adding weight to reduce recoil, I added the Hogue compstock, which weighs about the same as the factory stock. I believe the felt recoil is reduced by what Hogue claims, or nearly 50%. I shot the 1300 side by side with my Remington Express with 20 inch deer barrel. Next I will add the compstock to my 870.

Dave McC
September 23, 2001, 07:42 AM
Thanks, MH. I'd appreciate a followup on the 870 conversion, including price, difficulty, and effect.LOP and whether it can be adjusted would be nice to know, too.

Recoil concerns all shotgunners. While I seem fairly immune to recoil's effects,lots of others would be better shooters with more practice, and the Compstock,etc, may be a way for more folks to shoot EFFECTIVELY.

Gadgets and Gizmos are less effective than expertise, but I can see a use for these as aids to expertise, not attempted substitutes. It's a recoil pad "Kicked up a notch".

MH
September 23, 2001, 09:13 AM
Dave,

I purchased mine from www.ultout.com for $80 + 9 dollars shipping for the buttstock only. Cost with fore end is $88+ shipping. I asked technical help at Brownells and they told me the fore end for the 870 is the short style, allowing use of the 6 shot side saddle. Brownells www.brownells.com sells the stock and foreend for $91.87 wholesale, $139.95 retail. I read elsewhere on the internet that Brownells will sell at wholesale to anyone on the internet who says they are buying for a retail business, don't know if this is true. I think Natchezss.com also carries the compstock.
One drawback is length of pull. It is 14.12 inches and cannot be reduced, because the stock compresses over an inch during shooting. Also, no scopes allowed as the scope could move back and hit the shooter. Two spacers are included that allow increasing length of pull. I never noticed any negative effect of the stock compressing when shooting.
Installation was completed very easily. The new butt stock mounts just like the original. All you need is a phillips screw driver, and for the 1300 I needed a half inch socket and ratchet extension to remove the main bolt holding the stock. Fit appears to be very good. I will post when I order and get one on one of my 870's, and see how it shoots.

Dave McC
September 23, 2001, 02:30 PM
Thanks, MH! Let us know how the 870 works out. If that trick stock will handle a sling swivel, I do not see any downside besides price. And decent wood replacement stuff isn't cheap either.

Sounds like a nice upgrade for a project gun. Hmm, they still have some beater 870 receivers down at Valley. Maybe Frankenstein Redux time(G)....

Gary H
September 24, 2001, 08:07 PM
Have one on my 870 Express and it shoots softer than my 1100. LOP is fully adjustable with stock extensions.