PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy Remington 870 exp turkey

zauer
September 22, 2001, 09:23 AM
Hi Folks,

My next purchase is going to be a Remington 870 express Turkey shotgun. I've shopped at my 3 local gun shops and the best price I've found is $285. I know, it already sounds extremely cheap, but I'm saving for a house. My question is, is that a good price or does anyone know of another source that might offer a better price. Thank you in advance for your input.

Zig

Guyon
September 22, 2001, 11:04 AM
Zig,

You'd have better luck with this thread in "Shotguns." No doubt it'll get moved there, but I'll go ahead with an answer...

I assume you're talking about the 870 Express Super Magnum turkey gun. $285 is a good price, and I don't know if you'll find better unless you go to a big chain like Academy or Big 5. I bought this same gun at Academy (chain in the Southeast) a while back. Price was $269 before tax, and they were running a promotional where if you bought a Browning or Remington shotgun, you got a free aluminum hard case that normally sells for about $60. Don't know if that promotional is still going on.

In retrospect though, the 870 Express Magnum with a shorter barrel set up for chokes would be plenty of gun. I only fired one 3.5" shell through my turkey gun when patterning, and I decided that it was just too much bang (a LOT of recoil) and not enough results. With a Star Dot XF choke, my 3" shells patterned far better than the 3.5" shells at 30 yards. Still, I guess it's nice to have the option to use 3.5" Magnums, especially if I ever want to shoot steel shot at waterfowl.

FWIW, I've had the best patterns so far with the Star Dot choke and Winchester Supreme HV Turkey Loads (3", #6 shot, 1.75 oz.) I put some Tru-Glo "Magnum Gobble Dot" fiber optic sights on the gun. They really make it set up nicely for shooting at a "fixed" target like turkey.

Guyon
September 22, 2001, 11:21 AM
Zig,

You do know that Remington is offering a $25 rebate on any Express model shotgun bought before November 15?

Check it out here: http://www.remington.com/promo/870rebate.htm

In fact, I've been trying to talk my cousin into an 870 before the rebate goes off. He wants a shotgun to hunt upland birds, and you really can't beat the $209 price for the regular Express Magnum at Academy (this is the standard Express version--not the turkey model). It handles 2 3/4" or 3" shells and has a 28 inch barrel. If they're still running the free aluminum case promotional, that's a deal you just can't beat: $209 low price + $25 rebate + free aluminum case worth about $60.

However, if you really want the shorter 23" turkey barrel and the ability to shoot 3 1/2" shells, $285 (minus the $25 rebate) is also a good deal.

UK2TX
September 22, 2001, 12:50 PM
Oshman Sporting Goods here in Austin,TX are selling their shotguns below cost at the moment, give them a try.

Academy in Austin,TX has the express as $219 + hard case.

Regards,

UK2TX

labgrade
September 22, 2001, 06:06 PM
I bought a 3" Rem Turkey Express w/21" bbl a few years ago - nice enough for turkeys - like the double bead. Short(er) barrel's fine for everything else too. Only loose ~20 fps/inch on a shotgun anyway & nothing so far has been able to talk about the velocity lose.

FWIW, I use 3" Federal Premium, 2oz #4s w/Rem's extra full turkey choke & it patterns wonderful at 40 yds. Second best was Win's 1-7/8 oz #4s

Dave McC
September 23, 2001, 02:42 PM
Something like that Turkey Special comes very close to being an all around shotgun.

With a 23" bbl, hogging out a few oz of wood under the pad moves the balance point forward for a little steadier swing.Weight will vary, but probably come close to 7 lbs.

Touching off a 3 1/2" mag in that light a shotgun will certainly test most folks' recoil tolerance. Even 3" shells are nosebleed inducers sometimes, to some people.

The price sounds OK.

Guyon
September 23, 2001, 07:06 PM
Don't guess this one's going to Shotguns...

Zig: I assumed you were talking about the Express Synthetic Super Mag Turkey with the 23 inch barrel: http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870esmstc.htm

But I'd forgotten that Remington also makes an Express Turkey with a 21 inch barrel: http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870extrky.htm

Still, I think that the latter would be a good deal for $285 minus the $25 rebate. That would be a nice all around shotgun with the short barrel and the interchangeable chokes. If you wanted to do some upland bird hunting, you could pick up an Express barrel in the 26 to 28 inch range from Cabelas.

Dave: The Synthetic Turkey is already a little bit weight forward because of the lighter synthetic stocks (even though the Remington sites say that both guns weigh in at 7 1/4). I suspect that there's a little more felt recoil with the synthetic stocks as well. As I've said in earlier posts, one of the drawbacks to the synthetic is the greater difficulty in adding sling studs. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Big Green doesn't add sling studs to all turkey guns. They put them on all synthetic rifle stocks as far as I know. Don't they know you walk around a good bit when you turkey hunt?

zauer
September 23, 2001, 08:26 PM
You are correct btw, I bought the Rem 870 exp turkey...21" bbl and at $285 - 25 rebate I'm happy...thanks for the heads up on the rebate. Also, I haven't shot it yet and I'm anxious as this is my first shotgun. I have a smaller frame and I purchased this primarily for home defense. What load do you recommend. Also, is their a web site that any of you could recommend where could learn more about shooting shotguns and shotguns period. Thanks in advance folks.

labgrade
September 23, 2001, 10:05 PM
"What load for HD?"

I'll jump in quick before you get the "seek & ye shall find" answer & the threads locked up. ;)

I use Federal Premium 3" #4 buck - closest thing to a .22 machine gun you can get - 41 .22 cal per pull of the trigger.

No neighbors w/in 50 yards & besides our critters, it's just The Wife & me. Other HD scenarios require different stuff & besides, YMMV anyway. You'll get lots of input on this one ....

Guyon
September 23, 2001, 10:34 PM
HD load?

Just about anything will do at HD ranges, which are typically no longer than the longest room in your house. Unless you live in a mansion with a banquet hall, you don't have to worry about distance.

The real question is whether or not you want the pellets to penetrate walls. If you're worried about hitting someone in the next room, you might want something a little lighter than buckshot. In fact, bird loads will do just fine at stopping a perp at HD distances, and you have less worry about hitting family or even neighbors.

The best thing to do is ask yourself what sort of scenario you envision in the case of the sh*t hitting the fan. As labgrade points out, different HD situations call for "different stuff." Custom fit the load to that scenario, and then practice, practice, practice. Get some training if you can. I plan to take a defensive shotgun course in the spring.

Where did I get all this info? Mainly from reading present and past threads on the Shotguns forum. Do a search or two on "home defense" and "load." You'll get a lot of good opinions there.
Enjoy your new gun. You can't beat an 870.

Art Eatman
September 24, 2001, 06:48 PM
Reckon if I move this to Shotty-guns I'll regain my Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval...

Art