PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Buttstock Question, please help

Icopy
September 13, 2001, 08:03 AM
I just received my Springfield Armory M1 Garand from the CMP. Overall it’s in great condition. I do have one question that I hope you guys can answer. In the buttstock there are two holes for the cleaning kits. The lower hole is empty. But the top hole has some sort of rod plugged in it. It won’t come out and I’m afraid to force it. Can anyone tell me what this thing is?

Bottom Gun
September 13, 2001, 10:05 AM
Are you sure it isn't the cleaning rod? Both of those cavities are intended for storage.

Southla1
September 13, 2001, 11:24 AM
One hole is for the cleaning kit and the other hole was for the little "cups" of grease.

James K
September 13, 2001, 06:00 PM
Originally, one hole was for the combination tool, the other for the thong and oiler kit (a divided plastic tube) and a small "tub" of Lubriplate. When the M10 cleaning rod was adopted, the combo tool was replaced by the M10 in a cloth sack. That is probably what is stuck. Only thing I can suggest is to improvise some kind of hook (maybe from a coat hanger) and try to get behind it.

Don't be too surprised at anything, though. I once took an unused but very dry and cracking old condom out of a Krag buttstock. That troop was ready with his rifle and his gun.

Jim

Icopy
September 14, 2001, 08:06 AM
Well. It ends up that I had the CMP left a cleaning kit in the buttstock. After I used a pliers to pull out the "plug", which turned out to be a chamber brush, I found a tool handle and an dual sided oil/grease container. All were brand new. I just need to add the cleaning rods. The rifle also came with the original sling. Thanks to all who helped.

James K
September 14, 2001, 10:57 PM
Hi, icopy,

If that "dual sided" container is a plastic tube, it is the thong and oiler case. The cap on one end has a washer and a thin rod for applying oil; that is the oiler end and it was filled with oil. The other end is dry and is for the thong (pull-through) which was what was originally issued with the rifle.

BTW, DON'T use the pull-through for cleaning. By this time, the cords are all in bad shape and WILL (not might) break, leaving the one end in the barrel. If you have one, put it in the case to show how it came, and use a good cleaning rod. It is also a good idea not to use the M10 jointed rod for cleaning; if there is any misalignment between joints, the muzzle may be damaged.

Jim

Jim W.
April 22, 2011, 12:20 PM
I was issued an M1 Garand in USMC boot camp, Jan 1957. This was the same year that the M14 replaced the M1 but "boots" got the older M1.

I recently purchased a WWII vintage M1 but the tool pockets in the butt plate were empty so I ordered a cleaning kit and combination tool from PACKRATS LLC. The cleaning rod was the newer M10 version which fit tightly in its pocket, likely due to stock shrinkage with age. Also its handle, which I found later (see Note) was designed to replace the earlier combination tool, would not fit in the same pocket and placing the handle in the other pocket left no room for the earlier combination tool that I preferred for its attached chamber brush. I discarded the cleaning rod and handle and will try to replace it with a modern pull-through.

The combination tool I first received was the wrong type (too long) and would not fit. The proper combination tool for this vintage M1 was also too tight for a proper fit. I corrected this with a 13/16ths drill bit. This removed a small amount of wood to permit a proper fit. Far as I can determine, the lubrication packets are no longer available. Lubriplate is available but usually in pint cans so repacking into smaller containers is left as 'an exercise to the student'.

I saved cost of expensive factory ammo by buying new brass and bullets and reloaded my own, but I did need to order clips and also a few bandolier belts, also from PACKRATS. It fires well and accurately after some adjustments to elevation and windage, but it did sometimes experience the 7th round jam problem I have recently heard about in older M1's. Also it would sometimes eject the clip with rounds still in place (possibly a worn clip release). I just replaced the follower, clip release and main spring which (hopefully) should eliminate these problems.

Note: Recommended reading "The M1 Garand 1936 - 1957" by Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch, 5th edition, North Cape Publications Inc.

Jim W.

hps1
April 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
Also it would sometimes eject the clip with rounds still in place (possibly a worn clip release). I just replaced the follower, clip release and main spring which (hopefully) should eliminate these problems.

I maintained 8 M1' s issued to our club by the DCM. We completely shot out the barrels on three which had to be replaced and shot thousands of rounds through the others. Replaced or "hammer adjusted" quite a few followers due to the heavy use these rifles received.

Follower arms wear in the hole for pin that holds bullet guide, follower arm and op-rod catch to the receiver and throws it out of time, allowing clip ejection on 7th round; severe wear can cause clip ejection on 6th round.

This can be corrected by bending the follower arm using a vice or a simple tool you can make (see pics), a brass punch and 2 or 3# hammer and a machinist's rule:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/hm1996/M1%20Garand/IMG_1972.jpg

Place the worn follower in between vice jaws (not tight; just close enough together to use as an anvil against the cross pins) after marking near center as shown and measure distance from your jig (or vice) to top of follower @ mark.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/hm1996/M1%20Garand/IMG_1973.jpg

Place your brass punch (suggest a bit larger than the one show) at your mark and tap briskly w/hammer; check measurement and repeat until you have bent the follower about 1/32" at the mark. Assemble rifle and test fire.
If still ejects prematurely, repeat above.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/hm1996/M1%20Garand/IMG_1974.jpg

Suggest you have a new follower on hand in event you get carried away and bend it a bit too far, but I have yet to need the new one.

Over the years, replaced follower arms, op rod springs, firing pins, ejectors, extractors in that order, but considering the thousands of rounds fired, breakage was very light. Never replaced a clip latch or clip latch spring, though. The Garand is a very sturdy and dependable rifle!

Regards,
hps

PS If you haven't seen it before, check out the M1 Feeding Animation @:

http://www.garandflash.com/

Also found at:
http://www.dav32.com/feeding.html