PDA

View Full Version : Best shotgun for home defense?

adam3
September 13, 2001, 07:20 AM
I know this has been asked before, but since I can't find it I'll ask again. Which is the best shotgun for home defense, and what is the best ammo to go with it? All replies are greatly appreciated.

I SLEEP WELL AT NIGHT KNOWING THAT 5 MILLION NRA MEMBERS ARE READY TO TAKE UP ARMS TO FIGHT AGAINST TYRANNY...FOREIGN OR DOMESTIC.

PreserveFreedom
September 13, 2001, 07:26 AM
Whichever you handle best and are most comfortable with. I know it sounds like the textbook smartass answer of the year, but it is so true.

waltherpfive
September 13, 2001, 09:56 AM
I'm new to HD shotguns and all I can tell you is what I bought. Winchester 1300 defender and #4 buck.

It's a personal thing, you need a trip to the gun shop. Look at all of them, pump and auto, then decide what's best for you.

Cody
September 13, 2001, 10:02 AM
I have the Winchester mdl 1300 Defender. It has a 22" Barrel with rifled sights loaded with #6 Birdshot followed by a couple of 00 Buckshot sitting in the corner of my bedroom. It is a pump action and I must say the pump action is as smooth as silk:) . The gun could serve several purposes that is why I got it. You could use it as a trail/guide gun up in the mountains. Use it as a camp gun and even use it to hunt upland game. It comes with an Improved Cylinder.

If you want a shotgun just for home defense any short barrelled shotgun from any reputable manufacturer would serve you well.

Cody...

jb26
September 13, 2001, 10:13 AM
Haven't you asked this before:firingline (http://thefiringline.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=62167&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

Dave McC
September 13, 2001, 11:43 AM
Adam, the Archives here can be mined for days. Lots of input, and lots of experience.

I'll give you a few thoughts, tho.

ANY reliable shotgun of at least two shot capacity and 20 ga or larger in TRAINED, PRACTICED hands is a close range weapon of near legendary capabilities.

Most folks who know use a short bbled pump for the reliability, speed of followup shots, ammo versatility, and effectiveness. Many of these swear by the Remington 870, including me. Other popular choices include the Winchester and Mossberg pumps in their permutations.

Ammo choice varies, due to the mission environment and what each particular shotgun "Likes". ANY standard ammo at typical HD ranges is quite effective, and the various buck loads shine when scenarios outside the home may be part of the
picture. For use in my suburban 'hood, I miz laod with a couple birdshot loads(Which are lesss likely to go through walls up first), then 00.

Choke is meaningless at HD ranges, Forget that stuff about spread.

More important than the hardware is the training, technique and mindset, just like with any other weapon. Get started right, hopefully with some lessons from a competent and qualified instructor, then practice well and often.

HTH....

Al Thompson
September 13, 2001, 12:36 PM
Thanks JB. Adam - use the search button, many many threads there - JB's link shows you some of them.

Giz