PDA

View Full Version : Doves with the .410

Clemson
September 3, 2001, 08:23 AM
I took my .410 Remington Wingmaster hunting this weekend. It was my first experience with the .410 on doves. A few observations: I picked my shots carefully, so I did not burn nearly as much ammunition as I have on some hunts in the past. I found that the .410 gives up about 10 yards of range to a 20 gauge. Its practical range on the dove field seemed to be about 25 yards (with the factory barrel with Modified choke). I did best with 3" No. 7 1/2 shot. I shot 3 or 4 of my handloaded 2 1/2 inch #8s, but I did not kill a bird with them. I am not the world's best shot, but I have broken 22 skeet twice in the past couple of weeks with this particular pump gun, and I like the feel of it. Overall, I would rate it as a very fun gun for a dove shoot. I might even use it on quail over dogs. I have had a ball with it on skeet and sporting clays. I will take the 20 gauge if ever I have to bring home meat, however.:D

Dave McC
September 3, 2001, 12:08 PM
Good job,Clemson. Knowing the limits and staying within them's the key.

I won't call the 410 an expert's weapon, but IMO it should be used by experienced shooters with good range estimation skills.

And, considering the 410's limited payload, I'd go with 8s.

Clemson
September 4, 2001, 04:55 PM
I agree with you on the 8's, Dave, but I don't think any of the big companies load 8's in 3" shells, and I only load 2 1/2's. For what it's worth, I shot a few with 3" number 6's! They worked about like the 7 1/2's at the ranges I was shooting.:)

Dave McC
September 5, 2001, 05:27 AM
I've taken a few doves over the years with 6s from 16 and 12 gauges. I'm no 410 expert, but I bet the pattern's kinda thin.

Go with what works for you...