PDA

View Full Version : Steel shot in a Winchester model 25

Alex Johnson
September 1, 2001, 06:33 PM
I'm thinking about trading for a Winchester model 25, that's sitting in a local gunshop, to hunt waterfowl with this fall. I have in the past hunted mostly with muzzleloaders and double barrel breechloaders with bismuth shot, but as a graduate student I'm not feeling rich enough to purchase bismuth to use in these guns this year so, I was thinking about trading for the Winchester to use temporarily. Would steel shot damage it too much if I restricted it to #2's or smaller?

Dave McC
September 2, 2001, 06:07 AM
Alex, IMO, you'd be better off skipping lunch to get some decent non tox loads.

Small steel shot is nothing I want to throw at a live bird.

And, why trade off a shotgun you like? You may regret that later. Been there, done that,still kicking myself....

Alex Johnson
September 2, 2001, 08:36 PM
Thanks, actually I hadn't planned on trading off one of my shotguns but rather a .380 pistol that I have little use for. I do agree with you on the questionable use of small steel shot, I have used it in the past and had OK luck with it, but probably only because the shots I took were under 30 yards over decoys, since that is the style of hunting I'm used too with blackpowder. Once again thanks for your input.

Dan Morris
September 2, 2001, 09:27 PM
Having had a M25, I liked it better than a M12. Using Bismuth
instead if steel should present no problems.....I think you will love it.
Dan