PDA

View Full Version : Choke for skeet

hercules
August 31, 2001, 09:56 PM
What choke do you guys normally use (the best suited) for skeet shooting? Have a Browning BPS, had it for years, and use it for hunting. But haven't used it skeet shooting much. BTW, superb pump gun.

Question number 2:

Where on earth can I get a 18 inch barrel for this thing (if one is made), so I can use it for home defense?

Clemson
August 31, 2001, 10:28 PM
There is a choke called a "skeet" choke that is a little bit more open than Improved Cylinder but a little bit less open than true Cylinder bore. If you have one, use it. Otherwise screw in your Improved Cylinder choke and go for it. You won't be hurting your odds too much with the I.C. Brownells will sell you a skeet tube for your gun if you want one. Check www.brownells.com

K80Geoff
September 1, 2001, 07:43 AM
Skeet choke it is. Just about every manufacturer makes a Skeet choke if they have interchangeable choke tubes. Skeet is designed to deliver optimum patterns at the common ranges found in Skeet.

Some old doubles set up for skeet had a second choke in the upper barrel called Skeet 2 or Skeet out. This is actually a Light Modified (between IC and Mod) and was usefull for doubles in the days before shotshells used plastic wads. The old shotshells used fiber wads and the shot was in contact with the barrel when fired. This caused many "flyers" (deformed shot) that opened up the pattern. the tighter choke was good for long shots at skeet in those days. today's shotshells throw tighter paterns and Skeet 2 is rarely seen.

As for the 18 inch barrel, good luck!

Geoff Ross

DLF
September 1, 2001, 09:53 AM
Hercules,

At normal Skeet ranges, a True Cylinder choke is fine. Skeet choke is fine. Some skeet chokes will pattern tighter than normal and others more open than others, and so it goes with True Cylinder and all other chokes. You do need an open choke for skeet and seldom is anything tighter used for skeet.

Every choke mfg differs. I use skeet tubes in my Brownings and Remingtons. In my Beretta 391's, I use the Cylinder choke that came with the guns, but they pattern like skeet chokes, tighter than true cylinder.

Good Shooting,
DLF

Dave McC
September 1, 2001, 10:08 AM
Some Skeet guns have been reverse choked, where the choke area is actually larger, not smaller, than the bore. I'd avoid the extremes and go with something like 3-6 POC.Pattern your load of choice at 25 yards and go with the ones with good,even coverage.

The BPS has a lot of fans, and the little I've seen of it in the field has all been good. Alas, HD type bbls seem nonexistent.

Got a hunch that if one was found, it'd cost about as much as a beater 870 police tradein.

hercules
September 1, 2001, 05:50 PM
I guess you're right Dave. Might be better off just getting a Mossberg or Rem. that already has a 18 incher installed:)