PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive O/U

PreserveFreedom
August 31, 2001, 02:02 AM
Does anyone make an inexpensive Over/Under shotgun? (Preferrably 12ga.) It seems like the less expensive ones are single barreled or side by side. Hammers are optional. Thanks!

Dave McC
August 31, 2001, 06:34 AM
PF, there's a couple recent threads about this.

To sum up, cheap O/Us, like SXSs, are in general not worth buying. It takes a fair amount of handwork to get both bbls shooting to the same point. Handwork costs money, so inexpensive doubles seldom have it done.

Your best bet is to save up a bit more and get a used Beretta, Browning, SKB, Winchester 101, etc.

Roadrunner
September 2, 2001, 11:11 PM
What do you consider inexpensive? I was looking for an entry-level o/u shotgun and didn't want to spend too much. After searching the Internet and reviewing Shotgun News, I finally found my new Beretta 686.

I ended up getting a NIB 12 ga Beretta 686 Silver Essential for $650. You maybe able to still find these out there. Beretta phased out the Silver Essential line and replaced it with the Whitewing, which is more expensive.

It took me some time to find my o/u. But with some diligent searching, I found a real gem.

If possible, try shooting different make o/u shotguns to find the right one. Then try the Internet and also Shotgun News. Hope this helps.

PreserveFreedom
September 2, 2001, 11:50 PM
I consider inexpensive in about the $200 range. I am not overly worried about accuracy as my ultimate plans would be to chop it. ;)

Gary H
September 3, 2001, 03:52 PM
If you add about $115 you can get a Baikal. I like mine. It seems to be well built for the price and points well. Have used it on clays with good results. It certainly isn't the last word in refinement, but it is made in a country where the population is well educated, labor is cheap and the production of firearms has a long history. The Soviets have won Olympic gold with Baikals.