PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 9200

KenReb
August 28, 2001, 11:10 PM
Hope someone can help. A friend has a 9200 that fails to extract after firing. The extractor actually rips through the shoulder of the shell. New barrel does same. On an unfired shell, the round hangs at the start of the brass at the entrance of the chamber. A fired shell can be pushed in but leaves lots of marks when pushed out from the muzzle end. Different brands of shells, low and high brass all have same results. Dove season opens Saturday, and he would like to be in the field.

Is there a way to fix without taking to gunsmith? Most in the area are backed up about 4 weeks. What is the actual chamber measurements for 12 guage chamber?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Ken

Popsicle
August 28, 2001, 11:27 PM
It seems to me something is out of spec, as you have suggested.Before spending money, try wropping some 0000 steel wool(buy at any home improvement store) around a bore brush, install the brush in a cheap section of jointed cleaning rod, chuck the rod in a drill, and with the brush dripping with solvent run the brush/steel wool into the chamber at moderate speed. this will, in effect, polish the chamber of your barrel. Mossberg's barrels, of late, have been rather poorly finished( I have an 835 that looks rusted out in the barrel...Mossberg tells me this is normal Ha! Anyway, try this first... you won't hurt anything and might save some cash and frustration.

Pat Brophy

Dave McC
August 29, 2001, 06:28 AM
Ken,it sounds like the chamber is undersized. This would be warranty work and replacement by the factory.

If what Pat suggested doesn't help, be a real pal and lend your buddy a shotgun. His will NOT be field ready until this is rectified.