PDA

View Full Version : Recoil Control

ktmhk53
August 26, 2001, 09:05 AM
Greetings,

I am looking for ways to control felt recoil in my Benelli M1 Entry gun. While at the range now, even with light loads I am only able to shoot 10 or so rounds before my shoulder really begins to hurt. Although I shoot my rifles and pistols extensively every week, with no physical trauma, the damage this shotgun does to my shoulder is beginning to hamper my ability to shoot these other types of firearms.

What can be done?!:mad:

eje
August 26, 2001, 09:53 AM
This thread was really helpful for me (especially Dave McC's post starting the thread):

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11646&highlight=mount%2A

Keeping the butt pulled into the "cup" and maintaining a solid cheek weld should go a long way towards reducing the pain!

Hope this helps,
Ed

Gary H
August 26, 2001, 12:02 PM
Do some research regarding fitting the shotgun. It is mostly clay and hunting shotguns that get the fitting, but reducing recoil is related to fit. Secondly, look at the load that you are using. Kick-eez and Gooey pads also help out.

K80Geoff
August 26, 2001, 12:24 PM
Try switching to a Remington 1100 or Beretta 390. They really do reduce recoil. The number of diehard Sporting Clays shooters who switched to Beretta from shooting expensive doubles is absolutely astounding. The reason they switched is recoil.

The benelli is a sexy gun but it kicks as hard as a fixed action gun.

You also need a good gunfit, the Brits have known this for over a century and they are the best shotgunners in the world.

Geoff Ross

dick w. holliday
August 26, 2001, 01:12 PM
A new guy at the Sunday morning skeet shoot bought a 686 12ga Beretta field gun. Don't know the weight but it would kick the sh#t out of you. He sent it to magna port and had it ported and the forcing cones lenghtened...I swear to you that it now kicks less than a 20 ga of the same weight...Just remembered- he also got one of the Mercury things in the stock...i have never seen such a turnaround in recoil reduction....FYI--Dick

Dave McC
August 26, 2001, 04:48 PM
Dick, the mods and addons will cut kick, but if good form and fit are not used, it's wasted effort and money. Taming the kick starts with fit and form.

Long cones, backboring, porting,shock absorbers like those Mercury things, all together might drop felt recoil 20%.Getting "Into" the shotgun does a whole lot more.

I'm not opposed to the mods, there's plenty of evidence that shows they can help. But neither a checkbook nor technology can substitute for expertise.

Also, a 20 ga firing the same weight of ejecta from the same weight gun at the same speed as a 12 ga will kick slightly harder, tho it would take instruments to tell.

Gary H
August 26, 2001, 05:33 PM
If F=M x A, then why would you measure greater recoil from a 20 gauge? I thought that 20 gauge kicked because the gun was generally a bit lighter.

Dave McC
August 27, 2001, 05:57 AM
In theory,Gary, the smaller bores need greater pressures for an equal velocity, same weight of ejecta.I doubt anyone can detect it by feel.

Otherwise the Rule of 96 still applies.

Gary H
August 27, 2001, 11:38 AM
This discussion goes on all over the Internet. Pressure has nothing to do with recoil, but I think that I see where you are going. The 20 gauge shot interacts more with the bore and with each other due to the constriction and this interaction takes some of the energy and turns it into heat. This energy does add to recoil, but is not expressed in the formula F = M x A since this bit of shot energy is already dissipated.

Dave McC
August 27, 2001, 12:24 PM
Gary,it's not pressure per se. The pressure spike gets longer and narrower from the smaller bore. Gas guns like the 1100,390,etc, do the opposite, spread out the recoil over a longer period of time to get that reduction of felt recoil.

Again, it's a small matter...

Gary H
August 27, 2001, 12:52 PM
OK, I understand. Thanks for explaining. Of course we are talking "felt recoil" and not recoil. More exactly, we are talking theoretical felt recoil that probably can't be felt. Anyway, the mechanics helps me to understand what's up when the thing goes bang. Thanks...