PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun NEWBIE... Mossberg 500

JB-man
August 25, 2001, 05:04 PM
Ok, after shooting pistols for awhile, I am opening the door to the shotgun world. I bought a Mossberg 500 from a friend....
It has an 18.5" barrel, with a 5 (or 6?) shot mag tube.
It came with a pistol grip and folding stock, but I think I want to get an original style stock.
But the big question I had was that there is no choke at the end of the barrel, and was wondering if I should be wise to install one and if so what type of choke?
This will basically be home defense, property management tool.
Any advice will be greatly taken, before I go to the range and learn to shoot it.

Dave McC
August 25, 2001, 05:35 PM
At typical HD ranges, chokes is well nigh meaningless. A Cylinder choke and Full choke have nearly identical patterns at less than 10 yards, and that's what HD falls into.

Leave the bbl alone,it's almost ideral for the mission. Get rid of that stock, put a standard one on your shotgun, and you're ready.

JB-man
August 25, 2001, 05:49 PM
I've seen many original style stocks very cheap. I'll be getting my hands on one of those...

Dfariswheel
August 25, 2001, 07:56 PM
Check out Brownell's at: www.brownells.com
They have a number of stocks. Mossberg also sell a number of different types of stocks. A good one is their Speedfeed type that holds an extra 4 rounds inside.

I also recommend leaving the choke alone. It's probably a cylinder bore, (no choke at all), and this is just about perfect for an HD gun.

Jeff, CA
August 25, 2001, 11:41 PM
I have a stock from a 590A1 available if you're interested. It's black synthetic with the factory recoil pad. Mint condition, never "fired". I'm not totally sure it'll fit, but I can't see any reason why not. You'd need to get the bolt and washer.

They're too long for me (they'd be too long for Kareem Abdul Jabbar, IMO ;) ), so I replaced it with the short version, if you were wondering. E-mail me if you're interested.

Big Lou
August 30, 2001, 07:31 PM
I agree to leave the barrel alone (no choke). As for grips, if you haven't shot a pistol grip shotgun, you're better off with a full stock (as you mentioned).

I have the same setup (Mossberg 500, 18.5" barrel, pistol grip) as my house gun. However, I've practised with it quite a bit. I started with dove loads (on clay pigeons set up on edge at random distances) and gradually built up to full-power buckshot and slugs. Many people think this gun would "kick them on their butt", but the dove loads are fun to shoot. Now, I admit that the buckshot and slug loads pack a mean kick, but it's controllable (with practise).

Dave McC
August 31, 2001, 06:29 AM
Big Lou, the same amount of practice with a shotgun wearing a standard stock will leave anyone much more effective.

Shoot ANY COF with both for score and time. If your scores with the PG are within 10% of the scores of you and the standard stock, the first round's on me.

Lonnie Jaycox
August 31, 2001, 10:22 AM
I too have a standard stock available from my 500 Mossy. I don't know how long your arms are but I had to go to a cadet stock to get a LOP that I could effectively mount. Check this before you order a stock. Speed feed even makes a shortened version.

Big Lou
August 31, 2001, 12:01 PM
Dave McC, I agree with you. Shooting with a shoulder stock is much more accurate (and quicker) than a pistol grip......that's why I emphasized practice if you keep the pistol grip. And I concur with your point to practice with any gun! Hell, if you ever make it to Houston, I'll buy YOU the first round!

I began using the pistol grip because the house I lived in at the time had very narrow hallways and tight quarters. This discussion is making me reconsider putting the full stock back on since my current house is a lot more roomy. I guess it's good to periodically re-evaluate your home defense plan/tools!
Thanks for the kick-start to the old noggin!

Dave McC
August 31, 2001, 09:23 PM
You're welcome, Lou. It's always a good idea to re-evaluate periodically...