PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Benneli Nova deer slugger...

john1932
August 24, 2001, 04:14 AM
My Gun dealer talked me into buying it yesterday and I hope I made the right decision. I got the recoil reduction package option with it hopeing it will make shooting it a little less stressfull. I had to have a shotgun to hunt up in Michigans farm lands where a freind of mine has 100 acres of pristine hunting land. I was going to get a auto loader but I didn't want to spend 1000 dollars and another 200 for a bird barrel so I bought the Benelli for 550 plus the recoil package for an additional 80 and will buy a bird barrel for it sometime soon. Next I will scope it out and throw a sling on it. Then its off to the range to sight it in. I could use some advice on a scope and some feedback from Benelli owners to see if I made a good choice. Thanks for any replys.. John

Dave McC
August 24, 2001, 05:46 AM
John, I've no experience with Benellis, but have heard little negative stuff about them. They do not have the recoil reducing effect that gas autos do.

As for scopes.....

Cheaper scopes do not hold up well on shotguns. I'd try for a Leopold Variable, a lower power one like the 1-4X, or a fixed magnification no greater than 2 1/2X.Slug hunting's usually close and often quite sudden, and too much magnification is way worse than not enough in the conditions found in most whitetail habitat.

There's old threads about sighting in slug guns in the Archives. If you do not get answers there, sing out...

Kernel
August 24, 2001, 11:46 AM
John,

Congrats on the new Benelli. For a scoping a deer shotgun I'm a big believer in red dot sights for a number of reasons:

1. A dot sight lets you get on target fast - put the glowing red spot on target and shoot.

2. Dot sight have an extremely wide field of view and can be used with both eyes open - when slug hunting you'll often have opportunities to shoot close-in at running deer (by definition there is no long range slug hunting).

3. A dot sight works great in dim light at dawn and dusk and on dark overcast Midwest Fall/Winter days.

4. Dot sights have infinite eye relief, so where it attaches is not critical - shotguns, even those designed for scopes, are notorious for positioning the scope too far forward, causing scope creep which leads to scope eye. If you do get a conventional scope get one with at least 2" of eye relief.

5. Slugguns are not tack drivers, their inherent accuracy and effective range do not warrant high magnification. Deer are large animals with a large kill zone - a typical 3mil dot provides an excellent aiming point from 0 to 125yds.

I've used a number of different dot sights over the last 12 years. I like a 30mm tube, a 3mil dot, and steel rings. I've used the Tasco Acudot, the Millet Redot, AimPoint 1000, and the Ultradot. The Ultradot is probably the strongest but I like the Millet's optics better. A good dot sight can be bought for around $100 - half the price of a decent scope. -- Kernel

Popsicle
August 24, 2001, 04:57 PM
I have the Nova 18.5" with ghost ring sights and also a 28 " bbl. camo Nova. They are, in my opinion, the best pump shotguns for the money made today. Older 870 wingmasters are also excellent, but I've had my fair share of problems with ALL models of remington firearms made recently. My Nova with ghost rings will put winchester 1 oz. slugs in 4" all day long at 100 yards. I was gonna hunt lower Michigan also this year and the little Nova was the gun of choice, but I may or may not be going now. In any event, you are well armed with the Nova, in my opinion.

Pat Brophy