PDA

View Full Version : The season's upon us.....

Dave McC
August 22, 2001, 08:58 AM
Dove season is about 9 days away here, and other bird seasons not far behind.Come to think of it, Md's Resident(Nuisance) Goose season starts the 1st also.

So, is everyone ready?

Do you know where your shotgun is shooting?

Have you patterned with your ammo of choice, whether it's steel goose loads, generic "Field" loads, or those trap style reloads some of us think are good dove medicine? Do you have enough ammo on hand?

Have you gone to the range and tightened up your form?

And do you have your alibis ready?

I do(G)....

Some examples:

It's too....

Cold, hot, early, late.

They're too...

High,close,fast,low,far, unpredictable, or small.

I brought the wrong....

Ammo,shotgun, choke, shooting glasses, or the Thermos full of Margaritas instead of the one full of Gatorade.

And my favorite....

"Sensors indicate that a sub space anomaly is appearing in this space-time at irregular intervals, producing gravity fluctuations that make it impossible to shoot as well as usual"....

Gator
August 22, 2001, 10:16 AM
Oh my! Did someone say dove season is open?

We are about two months away from open season on doves in Florida and I've already got my maps out, my shotgun is cleaned and I know where the pattern spreads.

I do have a couple of questions for more experienced dove minded people.

Anyone know of good place got to dove hunting in Florida? My buddies and I are going to a special op. hunt provided by out Fish and Game Department sometime in October.

Gator

Dave R
August 22, 2001, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Dave.

Time to shoot some paper, then some clays, then mark the calendar.

Here is Idaho the first cool weather is almost always the week before dove season opens. No doves left in the state on opening day.

Mybe this year it will stay warm that extra week. Doesn't look like it though.

Intel6
August 22, 2001, 10:30 AM
I am so excited I can hardly stand it!!!

Down here in SE AZ they are flying all over the place, I see them everyday driving around.

I have my feild grade Win mod 42 (.410) all ready to go with some of my 2.5" #9 reloads waiting. I shoot on the other side of Tombstone, AZ near a cattle pond where they fly fast and furious. We have limited within an hour in the past, usually takes 2-3 hours if we take our time.

Dave McC
August 22, 2001, 01:41 PM
Thanks, guys...

Waterhole shooting gets crazy, it's almost like driven pheasants with all those incoming opportunities. Here I like an IC choke and maybe soft 8s, instead of my mainstay 7 1/2s and Modified.

Gator, here in Md it's a money maker, Do have one brochure for the Shore that has birds over millet and sunflowers for a mere $100 per 4 hr session. They throw in lunch, soft drinks and beer (hopefully for after). Gotta find a cheaper sport.

Favorite recipe for breasts. Wash and drain,rub with garlic. Wrap a strip of bacon around each breast, secure with toothpick. Grill over medium heat until the bacon's done almost black. Enjoy...

Kingcreek
August 22, 2001, 06:26 PM
Ooooh, I'm ready!
I've been shooting skeet and I'm feeling pretty confident. Got buckets full of loads for whatever hardware I choose to shoot.
Did I mention the 2 acres of sunflower that seems to have come up in the middle of my CRP ground? I'm going to see how it does as standing crop for a couple weeks but I could accidently mow it off, if the tractor gets away from me....
Thanks for the recipe- I hope I get so many that I have to try it!

K80Geoff
August 22, 2001, 09:17 PM
Are you kidding,. This is Noo Yawk. We don't shoot doves here.

Now Pigeons, that's another story:D

Geoff Ross

Dave McC
August 22, 2001, 09:54 PM
Kingcreek, you make me wish Illinois was closer to Md. Good luck.

Geoff, barn pigeons were a mainstay of my youth, but I'd not cook nor eat a city pigeon. If you get down this way, bring that K Gun. Maybe we can find something tastier to shoot than a White Flyer!

Poodleshooter
August 23, 2001, 06:13 PM
Picked up my stamp today. I'll pick up my canoe on Saturday. Then, a few days or so of float scouting before the opener for local geese.

btm
August 23, 2001, 10:17 PM
Kingcreek. Nothing wrong with mowing sunflowers to hunt doves over unless CRP program forbids it. But after a set date I think you're aloud to mow CRP to control those weeds. Next year leave some standing wheat then burn it off. Now thats a Dove shoot!

Kingcreek
August 23, 2001, 11:22 PM
Technically, much of the sunflower seems to have sprung forth in an area that is intended for a shallow pond/wetland with the dozer work planned for late fall. As you suspect, "manipulation" of food source is prohibited except as part of "normal agricultural practices" or as prescribed by USDA/NRCS policies. Baiting migratory birds is of course illegal.
I'm seeing good numbers of doves daily and looking forward to some shooting come Sept 1.
In case I'm not as good as I think, I've got a good recipe for Dove Humble Pie. Start with 2 diced chicken breasts....

btm
August 24, 2001, 11:47 AM
Kingcreek. You are cofusing waterfowl with Migratory birds. If you are going to hunt Ducks and geese on this same spot you are correct. But, doves are different and you can most certainly burn, chop or disk the weeds or crops and then hunt DOVES over it. Check with your local IL Conservation Police Officer for confirmation. Waterfowl can only be hunted over a normal planting and/or harvesting ag. practice. Let me know if have any more questions about this I can get you the right answers.
BTM

Will Beararms
August 25, 2001, 01:13 AM
My first lease since moving from Louisiana to Dallas 6 yrs ago -------- 3K acres, ten fields, Milo like crazy, water galore and my first nice shotgun in 37 years of life------------a Beretta AL 390 w/24" barrel.

I am so excited I feel ashamed knowing there are others less fortunate who won't be going. God willing, I'll be there.

I will have to play it by ear w/ the mod. and 7.5. Too much work & too little time to get to the range before opening day.

A safe and productive hunt to all.

Mitzelj
August 25, 2001, 10:18 PM
Guys, I hope this isn't a dumb question, but do you eat doves or just shoot em?? Jeff

rugerfreak
August 26, 2001, 12:17 AM
Here in Nebraska the season starts sept 1st-----the best shootin can be found by a pond and if you can find a patch of "ditch weed". Now that we've had our first football game and the weather is cooling off a bit-----I'm really gettin the fall itch bad.

Dave McC
August 26, 2001, 08:43 AM
Jeff, there's a recipe in one of my responses, folks eat doves around heah.

'Nother one, more complicated but excellent when a "Company Meal" is coming....

Slice each breast into two thin "filets". Make a seasoned flour with Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, Old Bay seasoning or paprika.Wet each slice, dip in the flour, and saute in butter with a little olive oil till nearly done.

Meanwhile, some sliced onions and mushrooms can be sauteing at a slightly lower heat in another pan.Start the mushrooms first, they need to brown a bit while the onions merely have to turn translucent.

Back to the doves. As they approach the end of cooking, add a dollop more of butter, with some minced garlic in it. Give the garlic a few seconds to cook, and drench with a decent cooking sherry or white wine. Serve over rice or pasta, with a bit of fresh grated Parmesan. Enjoy...

Mitzelj
August 26, 2001, 09:07 PM
Dave- Thanx!

Georam
August 27, 2001, 08:23 AM
Didn't get to go last year, but I'm going this year. Just got a new Beretta 391 12ga with a 26" barrel. I can hardly wate to try it out. I hope it is everything everyone said it will be. Good Luck to all and Happy Hunting.!!!!!:D

Dave McC
August 27, 2001, 12:19 PM
Enjoy, Georam. The 391 packs an excellent rep, how about doing a T&E on it? Thanks....

Clemson
August 27, 2001, 01:42 PM
The spent shells likewise make a tasty stew. I use the same recipe for them that I use for skeet. Marinate overnight in Jack Daniels, strain, and drink the gravy.:D