PDA

View Full Version : Point of impact from slugs to birdshot?

EQP
August 19, 2001, 04:43 PM
Howdy all,

I am a new shotgun shooter and have only put slugs through my shotgun (Mossberg 590A1 Ghost Rings) up to this point. Reason being that I shoot at an indoor range and shot would not be a really good idea in a bulletproof room! :eek: I currently have it sighted in to hit point of aim at 25 yards. I will be going to a shotgun class in three weeks, which will be mostly birdshot and was wondering what kind of change in impact to expect, if any, between the birdshot and the slugs. I know that all shotguns like different ammo and will shoot differently because of this. What I am looking for is if there is a known change of impact when going to the different load.

Thanks in advance,

Al Thompson
August 20, 2001, 06:29 AM
No set formula that I'm aware of.. Never tried the buck/bird comparison, but slugs and buckshot often have major differences.

As you mentioned, testing is the only true solution.

Giz

Dave McC
August 20, 2001, 04:47 PM
It's an inconstant variable, EQP. IME, slugs impact higher than shot, even buck. For example, my HD 870 puts slugs maybe 18" higher than the center of a shot pattern at 25 yds. Yours WILL vary, and changing loads will make it vary more, not less.

EQP
August 21, 2001, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll figure it out when I get to the class.

Thanks again,