PDA

View Full Version : Need Skeet O/U advice....

madison46
August 14, 2001, 03:58 PM
I just got a Beretta A 390 30" brl semi-auto. 4 chokes, full, Mod, IC, & Skeet. My trap rounds went from 18's to the 22-23's. Great gun. I tried Skeet the for the first time and maybe got an 8. I'm new to this, but have since decided golf is not nearly as much fun.........

Anyway, someone mentioned that a shorter brl is prefered on Skeet. The local store has a used Citori for $850 with fixed Mod/Light Mod chokes. Not sure this is what I would want if I go skeet. Are there any good 12ga 26-28" brl O/U Skeet shotguns priced between $0-$1100? Or any other suggestions ? The Citori came up and online so nice I could have died...as did the Beretta Featherlight (?). But the Featherlight I was told would be better hunting as is light and would beat me shooting sporting rounds.

Thanks for any help.

K80Geoff
August 14, 2001, 04:28 PM
Short barrels are not necessarily necessary for skeet. I shoot skeet with my 30" O/U with no problems.

The Beretta should be adequate for skeet, if you use the skeet choke. If it is set up as a trap gun it may shoot high so you will have to learn to adjust or get a second stock that you can put on for skeet. Have you tested the point of impact on a pattern board? Check it and see where you patterns are hitting. You may be shooting high and thus missing at skeet.

Gun fit, Gun fit, Gun Fit. It all boils down to Gun Fit.

The fixed Mod chokes will be far too tight for skeet, skeet chokes are called skeet for a reason:) Generally fixed chokes are not desirable, which is probably why this gun is for sale. 26" barrels are kinda short, although some people prefer them for skeet. 28" are more the norm with some shooting 30"

Good skeet O/Us for under $1100? Only if you find a good used Browning or Beretta 687/682. The featherlights are designed to be carried in the field and will kick the snot out of you on the clays field. Better to get a good Browning Citori set up for skeet.

If you decide to shoot Skeet in competition, you will need four gauge capability. The cheapest way to accomplish this is with an O/U in 12 ga with tube inserts for the smaller gauges. This tends to get pricey.

I would stick with the Beretta A390 and fiddle with the stock.

My $.02

Geoff Ross

madison46
August 14, 2001, 04:41 PM
I was told that the A 390 that I got WOULD shoot high b/c of the way the stock was set up. It has a 'hump'. I'll try to be aware of that and see if I do better on the skeet. Does Beretta or anyone else sell different stocks so I can change out if need be? I'll stick with the 390 for awhile until I get a good feel.

The Citori 'fit' so nice though.....

madison46

Dave McC
August 15, 2001, 05:12 AM
Geoff has it right. Pattern that sucker, it's the only way to find out where it's shooting.

Stick to the 390 for at least a year. Put the Skeet tube in for skeet, Mod or Full for trap and have fun.

While pure trap guns are at a disadvantage at most other games, a hybrid setup w/ a bit less comb height can work just fine. And, you'd have the advantage of the same feel and controls.

Once you've learned those games and decided golf is really not much fun(G), then pick out a shotgun for the games that works for you.

K80Geoff
August 15, 2001, 06:08 AM
You might try cole Gunsmithing for a skeet stock.

www.colegun.com

They seem to have a lock on Beretta parts, especially for the 390/391 series. They also have replacement parts that last longer. If you shoot the 390 any amount certain parts tend to break, cole and ogthers have parts that will last longer. They also have a spring set that allows the gun to function better with different loads.

The 390 series is the preferred gun for clays shooters to "Trick" out. If you are into gadgets you will be well served with the 390.

Geoff Ross

Bud1
August 15, 2001, 12:48 PM
All that you need is a 65 shim and spacer. Coles and even Beretta carries them.

Installation of this shim/spacer will bring the stock down and cast off. A heck of a lot cheaper than a new stock, and you will pretty much retain the parallel comb on your trap stock.

Bud

Kingcreek
August 15, 2001, 02:06 PM
Good advice in the previous replies.
My advice is sell those golf clubs so you can concentrate on skeet. Buy a shim for the 390 and a good supply of shells. If you are not happy after shooting that setup then buy a stock. (I've shot with folks shooting trap-stocked SGs who saw no reason to buy another rig.)
I'm shooting a 390 for skeet and I love it. My second best investment has been shells. I just bought another 3 cases of Challengers for $37ea tax included.

madison46
August 16, 2001, 02:35 PM
All advice sound very good. The A 390 came with some 'shims', but I will 'pattern' my gun first and get a good feel for it before doing anything else. On the skeet, I will do it more as well. Missed all from 1st station at the High House, but at the low house, I got the low one, missed the high one, but got the doubles. Just need time and ammo!

I do need to get rid of those clubs....................;-)

Thanks everybody.

Kevin

K80Geoff
August 16, 2001, 04:00 PM
OK... Why doncha' sell those golf clubs and use the proceeds to buy another 390 set up for skeet:D

Golf is for people who can't shoot anyway:p

I admit I forgot about the shims for the 390, finally a gunmaker listened to shooters and provided a way to fit the gun properly. (REMINGTON WAKE UP!!!) Coles gunsmithing has lots of neat stuff for Berettas that you may want to look at.

Another 390 supplier is Seminole gunworks:

www.seminolegun.com

They are one of the gunsmiths that "Tricks" out 390/391's for sporting clays shooters.

Nothing like seeing some shooter with a custom painted stock, ports, specialized adjusable comb and recoil pad and all the backboring , forcing cone work and porting plus custom choke tubes. Puts custom car builders to shame.

Besides, you can't use your golf clubs to bring home dinner if TEOTWAWKI happens.

Geoff Ross

madison46
August 16, 2001, 07:12 PM
I should sell the clubs and get reloading quipment !