PDA

View Full Version : mossberg good or bad

CONFEDERATE
August 10, 2001, 01:20 AM
i just bought myself a mossberg 20 gauge pump shotgun and i was wondering if any one else on this forum has one and if they like it or dislike it. i personally like mine and would probably buy another one in the future.:)

PreserveFreedom
August 10, 2001, 01:43 AM
Mossbergs are a great deal. However, many here will recommend a Remington. There are a few Mossbergs on my wishlist. I doubt if you will ever see it wear out. Have you shot it yet?

EQP
August 10, 2001, 10:32 AM
I have a Mossberg 590A1 and love it! The Mossberg is a very well built and rugged shotgun. I think you will enjoy yours for years and years to come.

Dave McC
August 10, 2001, 11:20 AM
An unabashed 870 Remington fan here, but....

The Mossies are good guns. The 870 may last longer, but unless you're shooting very heavily, the difference may be whether it's your grandchildren or great grandchildren that wear it out....

The Reaper
August 10, 2001, 01:02 PM
I like my Mossberg 12ga just fine. It hits where I aim it and I couldn't beat the price on mine when I got it. I won't wear it out because I only shoot a box of shells twice a year.

k77/22rp
August 10, 2001, 06:37 PM
I too just got a mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, and so far I am very happy with it.
The only thing that i am dissapointed with is that I can not find a parkerized slug barrel for it.
I am probably gonna have to get the blued one and attempt to refinish it.

Arizona Fusilier
August 13, 2001, 10:55 PM
Mossbergs are fine guns; not sure what compels some people to bad-mouth them so much. And yeah, I've got a Remington too.

fastforty
August 13, 2001, 11:19 PM
Had my 20ga/500 for close to 20 years, and it's still going strong. Big Five had'em on sale for $99, w/coupon for extra bbl :p Can't even get an extra bbl for that price now, and the 20ga's seem to be hard to find. Had to send away for for the vent rib, but it dropped right in :)

Cosmoline
August 14, 2001, 12:19 AM
I prefer the Mossberg's safety, which is about where the hammer on an old lever action would be. It's much more natural to click that than to fumble with some silly little switch on the side where I can't see. For me, anyway.

Correia
August 14, 2001, 01:02 PM
I'm a hard core 870 fan, but if I had to do it over again, what with Remington's current 870s vs. the current Mossbergs, I might just have ended up with a Mossberg. I hate the new Remington key lock safety, (but you can switch that out) and the Mossbergs that I have seen lately have been great guns. Especially for the the price. But I might have also wound up with a Winchester. Also a good gun for a reasonable amount of money.

I do have one Mossberg, but it is an older model with the single action bars. Avoid those like the plauge! Under heavy use it will break. I know. I've done it.

nedfig
August 14, 2001, 01:58 PM
I have a 500 and an 870. Between the two, the 500 gets used more. I have put a thousand or so rounds of #8, 00 and slugs without a problem. I have dumped a TON of money in my 500, so it will serve me for a LONG time.

aerod1
August 19, 2001, 11:03 AM
IMHO, Mossberg pump shotguns are great, but their semi auto's are crap!
Jim Hall

Big Lou
August 19, 2001, 04:30 PM
I have both a Remington 870 Wingmaster and a Mossberg 500. I consider them both good quality and reliable pump-action shotguns. The 870 has a much better finish and stock than the Mossberg, but looks aint everthing. I keep the Mossberg (with 18" barrel and pistol grip) as my home protection gun......so you know I trust it.

Gunfighter
August 20, 2001, 11:43 AM
I love my 590 and used it in a shooting last year. While attending the Blackwater Shotgun and Pistol course last week I picked up another parkerized 500 from a classmate to use for home protection since my 590 lives in the trunk of my squad. I was shooting easy 3-4 in groups at 50 yards with slugs from the prone position.

Mo_Zam_Beek
August 20, 2001, 05:51 PM
Yeah.... I like mine too - it has been tweeked by Hans Vang - but its still a Mossy.

biganimal
August 20, 2001, 08:37 PM
i own both mossys and rem 870s in 12 and 20 and love em all except the 870 express that I bought last year it is a p.o.s. but my wingmasters are great

Captain Bligh
August 20, 2001, 10:51 PM
I think Mossberg makes good enough shotguns but I personally don't like them. I don't like the safety position. It's merely a matter of preference because I've been shooting a Browning A-5 for 30+ years so am quite used to finding the safety on the trigger guard. It seems very natural to me in that it requires one less motion to get into action. The finger is on it's way to the trigger guard anyway and it seems to take less time to punch the safety than to thumb a top tang safety and then move a finger into the trigger guard. Like, I said--merely a matter of preference.

The other thing I don't like about Mossberg's is that if you want it for any stealthy kind of hunting applications, the fore-end is very noisy and rattly compared to an 870.

I shoot an A-5 in 20 gauge or an 870 in 12 gauge.

YMMV

RJ

Tom B
August 25, 2001, 05:15 AM
I prefer the Winchester and Remington over the Mossy. I haven't tried the Nova.