PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P-97 dissasembly

STEVE M
August 8, 2001, 05:50 PM
Does anyone have the instructions on how to do a complete take down? I know how to field strip but I want to be able to take it down to 'pins & springs'.
Thanks, Steve

4V50 Gary
August 9, 2001, 09:00 PM
This allows you to catch any flying springs and protect the Mark I eyeballs.

To strip the frame on the P-97,

1) Disengage the trigger from the receiver by pulling it halfway towards the rear and then upwards. CAUTION: Don't remove the trigger yet. If you push the trigger too far up, the trigger bar spring may be damaged.

2) Use a Special disassembly tool (1/16" punch) and insert it into the magazine well to engage the trigger bar spring. Lift it up to disengage it from the receiver. Don't remove the trigger bar spring yet. Wait.

3) Rotate the ejector forward (field strip position) and place punch beneath that front hook of the trigger bar spring. The spring, trigger and trigger bar should come out as a unit.

4) Rotate the ejector rearward (back towards hammer). Push it downward and push on the ejector pin plunger (one side then the other). This compresses and disengages the ejector pin plunger and allows you to lift the ejector from the receiver.

5) Using that millon dollar Act o' Congress disassembly tool (1/16" punch), push the sear & firing pin block lever pin out. This permits you to withdraw the sear, firing pin block lever and spring out.

6) Use punch to punch hammer seat pin out. Remove hammer seat, hammer strut, hammer spring & bushing out.

7) Remove hammer pivot pin and withdraw hammer.

8) Place punch on right side of mag latch and push to disengage. Note: Mag latch is not removed yet and is displaced to give you access to the mag latch spring. Place punch into frame & onto the hook of mag latch spring. Push it upwards to disengage it from the receiver. With spring removed, you may now remove the left and right side of the mag latch.

STEVE M
August 9, 2001, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Gary. I take it that reassembly is the ever popular reverse order?

4V50 Gary
August 10, 2001, 10:03 AM
Steve, there's some tricks to reassembly. Let me see if I can get back to you on Saturday. BTW, what type of slide (action) do you have? I can give you instructions on the slide too.

STEVE M
August 10, 2001, 02:42 PM
Gary it is a traditional single/double action with a decocking lever only. Thanks, I'll look for your post tomorrow.

4V50 Gary
August 10, 2001, 08:46 PM
To disassemble the decocker slide, rotate the safety 1/2 btwn safe & fire. Next use a punch to push outward on the right side decocker lever. You will see the safety detent plunger which is spring loaded. Go slow as you don't want it orbital. Remove the right side decocker lever from the slide.

Rotate the slide upside down and push the decocker spring down with a punch/screwdriver. Now, using a dental pick (flea market special or ask your friendly dentist) to push the spring retainer out. With the spring retainer removed, you can remove the decocker spring.

Rotate the left side decocker all the way to the rear (decock position). The firing pin may now be withdrawn along with its spring.

I'll talk about reassembly in the early morning hours. The computer (ISP) is slow right now.

4V50 Gary
August 10, 2001, 11:57 PM
Reassembly of the slide
Insert firing pin spring and firing pin into firing pin channel. Depress the firing pin block and push firing pin & its spring inwards. Now, with firing pin depressed (forward), insert left decocker into slide and rotate halfway forward. This will lock the firing pin into place.

BTW, I didn't mention how to remove the firing pin block. It's no mystery but a PAIN considering that they're held in place by the rear sight and to remove it means you remove the rear sight (and resight when you reassemble).

Reassembly of the frame
Start by installing the magazine latches. Place the mag latch into the frame from the right side. Insert mag latch spring into spring slot of frame. Engage the spring tip into the retaining hole of the mag latch. Insert a magazine. Now, push the mag latch spring down until the spring engages the retaining hook of the frame. Push the mag latch inwards to set.

Install the hammer and secure in place with the hammer pivot pin. Place hammer spring onto hammer strut and turning frame upside down, slide assembly in. Check that the strut's yoke engages roll pin in the hammer. Now, turn the frame on its side and place the bushing onto the spring seat and slide it onto the frame. Be sure that the bushing contacts the strut. Depress the spring seat to align the retaining pin and insert the retaining pin.
When properly installed, the yoke should not be visible behind the hammer.

Install the blocker lever by aligning it with the rearmost pin hole in that portion of the frame. Secure with pivot pin. Install the sear and align it with the hole in front of blocker lever pivot pin hole. Install the sear pivot pin partially since you'll need some clearance for the sear spring. Note: the sear spring has two legs and the bent leg goes on top of the blocker lever to provide downward tension to restore it to its position of rest. The straight lefg of the sear spring rests against the sear. Once the sear spring is in place, push sear pivot pin in completely.

Install the ejector, ejector spring and ejector pivot pin. They are a subassembly and should be preassembled and put into the frame as a unit. When installed, the longer leg of the ejector spring should be alongside the hammer strut.

The trigger, trigger bar and trigger bar spring are installed as an assembly. To install these into the frame, rotate the ejector back (eject) position. Next place the trigger bar's hook under the hammer and after this is done, lower the trigger into its slot. Using your finger, push down on the tip of the trigger bar spring coil until the front hook engages the retaining hole. Complete assembly by pulling the trigger halfway to the rear to guide it down and seat it.

STEVE M
August 12, 2001, 06:55 AM
Thanks, Gary. That's just the information I needed.