PDA

View Full Version : Brake cleaner to clean guns ?

MR.G
August 8, 2001, 02:10 PM
A friend of mine told me that he is using automotive break cleaner in a spray can to clean his handguns, instead of the more costly gun cleaners. He uses it on polymer as well as steel and alloys. Is brake cleaner safe to use on firearms ? If so, does it do as good a cleaning job as the expensive gun cleaners ?

Pampers
August 8, 2001, 02:48 PM
Safe? Yes. Cheaper than the high priced spread? Yep! Compare the ingredients...It's the same stuff.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

char923
August 8, 2001, 02:55 PM
Out of all of the brake cleaner I have use the CRC Brakleen in the red can works best.

Good Guy
August 8, 2001, 05:06 PM
Works fine, just keep it off of wood and plastic finishes as it may dull or desolve some of them.

MR.G
August 8, 2001, 05:11 PM
Is polymer considered plastic ?
Thanks,
MR.G

Noban
August 8, 2001, 05:48 PM
I'll second the CRC Brakleen. 1/3 the cost of GunScrubber and the same results. Stay away from carb cleaner. It has addititives that linger on the "clean" surfaces and could have adverse reactions with your other gun cleaing and lubricating products.

Noban

char923
August 8, 2001, 08:16 PM
MR.G I have used CRC Brakleen on my STI for about 5 years with no problems at all. STI grips are made from a fiber-filled polymer composite.

Walt Sherrill
August 9, 2001, 08:41 AM
Just about any break cleaner seems to work ok, but carb cleaner can be a problem -- for plastics.

Its probably a good idea to remove plastic from the gun before using any aerosol solvent (Grips, etc.)

Gun Scrubber and Brake Cleaner have many similar components...

Jim V
August 9, 2001, 05:36 PM
Read the labels, while GUNSCRUBBER does not tell you what is made with/of, it does tell you that it may affect some plastics. Believe it. The same with most of the brake cleaners, except they will tell you hat they are made of.

Read all the labels of carb, brake and automotive eletronics cleanres and most of the spray gun cleaners, Same ingredients, in different order.

Buy the inexpensive stuff and leave the gun cleaners for the "swells".:D