PDA

View Full Version : Slide on S&W pistol fails to remain open on last shot

Brent
August 7, 2001, 12:44 AM
The slide on my S&W model 410 fails to remain open on the last shot. I am considering cutting a couple of coils off of the spring which provides forward pressure on the slide.

Is this an appropriate modification, and if so, how many coils should I remove?

George Stringer
August 7, 2001, 05:53 AM
Brent, unless it works with higher velocity ammo than what you want to use, the recoil spring isn't the problem. On the other hand if it does function fine with hotter ammo I'd cut it by 1/2 coils at a time and I'd be prepared to buy a new spring. George

thebaldguy
August 7, 2001, 09:48 PM
This may sound funny, but it could be you. Is your thumb/hand contacting the slide release while you shoot? Maybe a different stock/grip would help. I have a 410, and it seems to work perfect for just about any shooter. However, I have a Ruger 9mm that seems to work fine for everyone except a friend of mine. When he shoots it, it seems to lock the slide OPEN with a round remaining in the magazine. Numerous people have fired this pistol, and have been unable to duplicate this action. Does the same thing happen when other shooters use your pistol? There may be worn surfaces or parts. If worst comes to worse you may want to contact S & W about a possible solution.

agalb
August 8, 2001, 07:57 AM
It sounds to me like your magazine spring may be too weak. I would not recommend cutting the recoil spring of a pistol under any circumstances. Adam

Mike Irwin
August 8, 2001, 10:07 AM
When this happens, ALWAYS look to the magazine first, either a follower or a mag. spring.

Is it doing it with more than one magazine?

Then look at possible ammo problems. Is the problem recurring with other types of ammo?

Then look at the slide hold open latch, either it being misformed, the spring being too powerful, too weak, etc.

Look at your grip on the gun, as has been mentioned. It happens.

Finally, look at your recoil spring or other problems with the gun itself.

Always go with the simple stuff first.