PDA

View Full Version : Stuck screws in scope mount

scouter27
August 4, 2001, 02:14 PM
I have 2 stuck screws in a Model 70. I have tries Liquid Wrench, heating with a blow drier, even very, VERY carefully heating with a propane torch. They won't budge. Can someone help me? Thanks.

Karsten
August 4, 2001, 02:49 PM
I had 4 scope ring allen head bolts someone used lock tight on :confused: they weren't about to budge. Someone suggested heating with a soldering iron....Well being one that can't sit still for very long that about drove me nuts.
You need top heat the screws up for quite a long time, let cool slightly and repeat and then (if it is Locktite) with enough steady pressure they should pop loose.
Otherwise and trip to the shop and have them drilled.

Good Luck
Karsten

Point Blank
August 4, 2001, 03:05 PM
Kroil,simply the best penetrating oil out there,or some other very good penetrating oil from an auto parts shack.

Art Eatman
August 4, 2001, 03:10 PM
You might try grinding a small punch or chisel to fit the screws' slots. Then, tap with a hammer. sometimes this helps; sometimes, no. :( And, if you have the tools, the use of an impact-driver with this home-made "screw-driver" will help--but be very careful.

I'm gonna move this to the Smithy.

Art

Fatcat
August 4, 2001, 03:18 PM
I second the Kroil.

Last time this happened to me, I lost my temper and hacksawed the ring off at the base.

Ruined a set of Burris Signature rings, but I felt better. :)

scouter27
August 4, 2001, 05:09 PM
Thanks for moving it. I meant to post it here, but I switched forums without noticing I guess :o

Nukem
August 4, 2001, 09:28 PM
They were probably loctited. Get the torch back out, heat them up real good, if they are slotted head screws, insert a good screwdriver and apply a good sharp rap to the handle with a hammer.

You'll actually want to heat the bases more than the screws.

George Stringer
August 5, 2001, 05:54 AM
Scouter, what always works for me if the screws have been epoxied or locktited in is to heat the tip of the screwdriver, insert it into the slot for a few seconds and turn it. A sharp rap will usually help if the screw is rusted in. George

August 5, 2001, 07:21 AM
All the suggestions above sound good, but you need to give more details. If the screws are jammed threaded and you have access to a mill, get a LEFT HAND drill bit slightly smaller then the screws and chuck everything up on the mill and just drill them out counterclockwise. If they are just cross-threaded, the drill will go in until it grabs the metal and then just unscrew them. If they are rusted it will either do the same or else just remove the metal so that a new hole can be tapped. I've used this trick on every size from 4-40 to 1/2-18 to odd metric sizes. PS: it is still important to shoot some Kroil or equivalent before you start. Good luck.

scouter27
August 15, 2001, 11:51 AM
Just FYI, I got them un-stuck. I used a screw gun to slowly trun them slightly tighter, then I backed them out. The first one came out easily, but the second wouldn't budge untill I had almost all of my weight on it.