PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone convert vintage 27s/28s to 8-shot .357?

Jim March
August 1, 2001, 07:28 PM
C title...I have no qualms about buying an old S&W N-Frame S&W and having it converted with an 8-shot cylinder, if any reputable gunsmiths are doing this. There's a good 8-shot speedloader now available for the Taurus 608 that should work, or we could switch to moonclips.

I saw an ad on gunbrokers for a "Smolt", a custom model 28 with a Python barrel :). Converted to 8-shot, man, that'd be slick :).

Jim

George Stringer
August 2, 2001, 07:04 AM
Jim, you might try Cylinder & Slide. This sounds like something they might do. And if they don't they might know someone who does. George

Daniel Watters
August 2, 2001, 06:26 PM
Baumanize in NY state once performed 7-shot .357 Magnum conversions on the M27/M28, but the company disappeared around the same time that Taurus introduced their large frame 607 (pre-608) and S&W introduced the 686+.

RPM/Prest Precision in Arizona made an eight .38 Super conversion for N-frame revolvers, but it represented more than just a change in cylinders. The gunsmith Charlie Prest started with a standard S&W N-frame revolver, stripped out nearly everything, offset the barrel axis and firing pin slightly higher, machined a new 8-shot .38 Super cylinder from 17-4 stainless, fit a BarSto barrel blank, and reworked the action to around 7 pounds. (This is the Reader's Digest condensed description, BTW.) The full-house IPSC conversion was once quoted around $2,000. Unfortunately, I have heard reports that Mr. Prest no longer offers gunsmithing services.

dewey
August 2, 2001, 09:27 PM
I have one that I love and picked up AsNIB for
$650 which is about half what it would cost to have a custom one made up AND it's stainless.
Good Luck...dewey