PDA

View Full Version : The new Model 97

Jeff #111
July 31, 2001, 08:34 PM
I was unable to find any posts concerning the new Model 1897 made by Norinco. So here I go. I've read a couple of reviews about it, one in G&A and the other in American Rifleman. While they say it's okay there are a few problems, but it sounds like the new models coming off the assembly line have corrected them. Has anyone heard anything?

I've always wanted a 97 - just because I've always wanted one. Maybe I've watched the Wind and the Lion with Sean Connery too much or perhaps I can blame it on The Wild Bunch. Whatever the reason I'm looking real hard at buying one. I've been saving my money to buy another Sig - the P239 in 9mm - but this changes everything. After all I already own a couple Sigs and several other handguns of different makes, but I don't think I'll ever come across an original 97 that I would feel comfortable just taking out to the range and blowing off rounds.Just asking for any feedback. Thanks.:)

Bullmoose
August 1, 2001, 02:18 AM
The one that I saw last week was $595 and the wood does look better now than the earlier ones. Several comments at SASS shoots indicate that they have probably cleaned up the newest model and they seem to run better. I was thinking of getting one, but decided that since I can buy a late model (1940-1955)Winchester (hopefully better steel and less abuse than the ones nearing 100 years old) for a little more, why not have an original? Besides I enjoy keeping a little of our money here. One of my fellow SASS shooters picked up a new one a couple of months ago and initially had some feeding problems, but says it is working now after a little smithing help. I thought they were originally closer to $300??????

Dave McC
August 1, 2001, 05:37 AM
Used, "Real" 97s are neither scarce nor terribly expensive, tho they are scarcer and cost more since a bunch of folks decided playing Cowboy was more fun with live ammo.Same with good using grade SXSs.

While some of my objections to the Norinco are based more on politics and philosophy than the weapon itself,steel and workmanship from 3rd World countries tends to be variable. Parts and warranty work, considering the shifting sands of international politics, may be hard to come by...