PDA

View Full Version : chamber reamers?

rr41mag
July 31, 2001, 06:23 PM
A friend gave me a box containing about 30 chamber reamers. They are most common sizes with a couple exceptions. Could yall help?

#1- 30-30 60degree imp

#2- 228 (it is etched on the reamer the 8 is?)

#3- 8x 30-06

#4- 308x6-5 ?????

#5- 30-06 X 6mm

There is a 219 ackley zipper reamer I found in an old NRA cartridge book that was the only other one. Like I said any help would be appreciated.

George Smith
July 31, 2001, 09:44 PM
usually improved is to enlarge the case
and change the shoulder angle.

6.5 308 is what tubbs used in the sr 25 to
win camp perry a couple years back

6mm 06 would be a fast cartrige!
30 06 case necked down to 6mm.
can you say short barrel life??

on the 8, I am not knowing
geo ><>

James K
July 31, 2001, 10:09 PM
They are all what is called "wildcat" cartridges, that is cartridges that were not chambered in factory rifles.

1. There were a number of .30-30 Improved cartridges and no way to tell which one this is.

2. The same with the .228, there were several wildcat rounds given that name.

3. The third is probably 8mm-06, a good wildcat round that was often used in 8mm Mauser rifles rechambered (but not rebarrelled) to accept the .30-06 case. Remington later did adopt it and factory ammo is available.

4. and 5. On the 6.5-308 and 6mm-06, George is correct. Whoever was using those reamers was into some serious experimentation and hot loads.

I have no idea what you could use the reamers themselves for unless you want to have a custom rifle built in one of those calibers, in which case you will need both the rougher and the finish reamers, plus loading dies to match.

Jim

rr41mag
August 1, 2001, 05:38 AM
Yep, I kinda figured they were wildcats. Especially since they couldn't be found in an old "cartidges of the world" book. They are finish reamers too but with a little care the could be rough drilled to size then finish reamed. On the other hand comes the question of dies. I don't foresee me utilizing any of these however the one caliber that was not included in all these reamers was one that I really wanted. 45-70 Thanks guys

Rottweiler
August 1, 2001, 07:18 AM
Well, If you're not gonna use them you could stick 'em back in the box and ship them to me;)

George Smith
August 1, 2001, 07:33 AM
Several of the smith's I know just use the finish
reamers, no roughers, Also Some have made comments that if they roughed, sometimes they had trouble with chatter on finishing (using a drill and such)

The 6.5 308 is a factory loaded round I believe???
possibly the 260 rem??

if your selling (there is probably a place on this board to sell stuff but with post # like Jims they would know) I would be interested in the 6.5 308
thank you
geo ><>

rr41mag
August 1, 2001, 08:20 PM
You know I kinda figured this would happen, I want a .45-70 reamer but there wasn't one out of the whole bunch.

George Stringer
August 2, 2001, 07:11 AM
George, out of all the reamers I have the only one that doesn't like a rougher used ahead of it is my 7x57 Mauser. I don't know why it is but as long as it's used by itself it cuts beautifully. You put in pre-made hole and it chatters like there ain't no tomorrow.

RR41mag, I could probably be persuaded to swap you a NEW 45-70 for that box of OLD reamers that you obviously don't want and will probably wind up stubbing your toe on at a future date. Of course I'm just trying to look out for you here. :-) George

Alex Johnson
August 7, 2001, 12:28 AM
If you don't plan on chambering a bunch of rifles for the 45-70 cartridge than it would not be too difficult to bore the chamber out on your lathe. Some years back there was an article written I belive in the Rifle magazine concerned with using boring tools to take the place of chambering reamers. The book Gunsmithing Tips and Projects I believe has a reprint of this article that would be well worth looking into. I have not used this process to chamber a rifle, but I have used some of the techniques discussed for other lathe boring operations.

rr41mag
August 7, 2001, 05:06 AM
If anyone is interested I will send you a complete list of the reamers I have. However I am already in the process of a trade now so 3 of the reamers are gone. As for reaming a chamber, the bore MUST be pre bored to withing around .030 as a general rule of thumb. Reamers are for a specific process and not meant for mass metal removal. One other thing a little imagination, an end mill sharpener, and an old reamer= a .41 magnum chamber reamer