PDA

View Full Version : The worse stuff I do, the better it is...

Lavan
July 30, 2001, 01:48 PM
This is nuts. When I start doing AWFUL things, my trap scores improve. First I started shooting one eyed and scores went up.

Now I have started looking at the sight at the low center of house. What has happened is now that I am seeing the bird leave the house as a line. The line makes it so I now see the true track of the bird. As a result, I am now running the dang things and powdering a lot of them.

Only thing I can think of is that my older eyes (which have floaters in them) no longer can pick stuff up against a bright sky but when not looking directly at it, it is coming up showing a streak on the eye.

Have stopped missing the slight off center birds from station 3.

Disclaimer: This is terrible advice.

Dave McC
July 30, 2001, 04:07 PM
Whatever works, Lavan. Sole caveat, don't develop any habit that will hinder you further down the line.

I shoot one eyed, but shift my focus to the area I'll first see the bird after checking the beads.

Like Kung Fu Tze said, there's many roads we can take....

PJR
July 30, 2001, 06:25 PM
The number 1 rule in trap shooting (after safety rules, of course) should be "If it works, don't change it."

I look just above the front edge of the traphouse in the area where the bird will come out. This changes slightly at each station. I am not looking directly over my gun but just to its left. When I see the bird, my eyes lock on, the gun follows and I fire. Absent any other distractions (and there are so many), the bird breaks.

If you are having trouble seeing the bird, you might try different colored shooting glasses. I use a vermillion in the sunlight and a target orange on overcast days. Against a green or blue background the birds look larger.

C.R.Sam
July 30, 2001, 09:05 PM
Sumpin to be said for computing the track of the bird. My dad, who was born in the century before the last one, lost his central vision. He compensated by looking at something out in space well above the trap house. He'd holler PULL, see the track of the bird leavin the house, mount the gun and shoot bout where the bird oughtta be bout the time the shot got there. He would not know if he scored until somebody else called the hit. He was into his 80s when he started doin that and would stumble the first round. Make good money on the second round and go home. Scarin the hell out of the rest of the folks with his drivin.

I spent fifty years tryin to out hustle him, with little success.

Sam