PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun for home defense

Glock_Racer
July 29, 2001, 05:58 PM
I'm considering purchasing a shotgun for home defense. Any recommendations in the $200 range?

Q-Man
July 29, 2001, 06:27 PM
I think there's a shotgun forum here....

I've always thought that firing a shotgun indoors would be as dumb as shooting a rifle indoors as far as the hearing damage that would result. I don't have any 1st hand experience though. What about a pistol? I love my .45.

ED CHAVEZ
July 29, 2001, 06:30 PM
Shotgun

->Home defense

-->Mossberg
-590 parkerize 12ga 9-shot
-M-9200 Jungle Gun 12ga 4-shot, you can extend shot cap.

-->Benelli
-Any semi

Karsten
July 29, 2001, 06:49 PM
Check this out....it would work great. and the price is right http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74321

Now on the piont of firing a shotgun, rifle or a .45 ACP indoors and the possible damage to hearing......
IMHO you have three choices....run like hell if you can or you can defend yourself by hiding and waiting (if possible) behind cover or you can use shotgun or what ever you have. It may take a few days on the hearing but that is no more time than it takes for the funeral arrangements of yourself or a loved one.

Just something to think about.

Karsten

RELODE
July 29, 2001, 07:21 PM
MOSSBERG 500 8-shot syn.stock 12ga. part # 50577-2
$200 new at most sporting goods stores (big-5, gart,) or gun local stores. (great buy!!!) .www. mossberg.com
don't forget to get a flash light for it. RELODE

Art Eatman
July 29, 2001, 07:24 PM
Movin' On to Shotty-guns.

:), Art

Dfariswheel
July 29, 2001, 08:24 PM
I've been hearing good things about the Chinese copy of the Remington 870. Price well under $200.00. At least some parts interchange, and it has a 5 shot magazine tube.

The Remington 870 is the King of American shotguns. High quality, they never seem to break, and parts are easy to find.

Of course, there's always the option of picking up a used 870 and cutting it down to a HD gun yourself. Since you can do it a piece at a time, you can add extras as you have the money.

HarryB
July 29, 2001, 11:00 PM
I just purchased a Winchester Defender 12 gauge 8 shot for $199. Mossberg 500s are about the same price point. Remington 870s run about $50 to $100 more. All are great choices with proper instruction and practice. Used bargains and trade in are out there too. I ran across a used 870 Wingmaster with a 20" smoothbore and rifle sights for only $249. Looked brand new, and just a little too "nice" for an HD gun...

STEVE M
July 30, 2001, 07:23 AM
As for firing a shotgun indoors, if my shotgun is in hand instead of my pistol, it means I already have everyone in the save room and am waiting. In that case (or hopefully before) I will have put on my Wolf Ears (also great if you have to search the house, or get others out of their beds.)
The safe room is set up so that the others will be away from me and out of sight (also armed) While I have clear fire zone towards the door and good backstops beyond.

Dave McC
July 30, 2001, 11:45 AM
Harry, I've seen some awfully "Nice" 870s that were excellent HD tools.I've toyed with the idea of getting a 10 shot extension for my TB trap gun, but they don't make them in Royal Blue(G)....

$200,IMO, can buy oneheckuvalotta performance in a used Mossy, Winchester,Ithaca or Remington pump, showing honest wear but with years of service left in them. Police tradeins can be wonderful sources of good, using, HD shotguns.So, (Where legal) are firing ranges, local papers,etc.

A guy with a Mossy 500 gets in enough overtime to buy himself a nice auto or double, and the 500 oft goes for a bargain price.Sometimes the grapevine can put us in touch with a deal. Be careful, and maintain the paper trail...

Decades ago, I got a deal on a Brit revolver, a 455 Webley that took 45 LC cartridges. After playing with it a while, I sold it to a gun shop in LA. A week later, two detectives knocked on my door. They were decent about it, but the Webley was Hot. I knew the guy I'd bought it from, he was on the square and told the cops where he got it, and the trail petered out from there. I was lucky, no charges. More careful since....