PDA

View Full Version : Browning Gold Hunter JUNK????

Georam
July 24, 2001, 12:05 PM
I am in the process of getting a shotgun for dove hunting. I am considering either the Browning Gold Hunter or the Beretta 391. I have had a couple of friends tell me that the Browning is junk. Have any of you had any experence with this, and given the two guns which would you buy?
Thanks

PJR
July 24, 2001, 12:46 PM
I've shot both the Gold Hunter and the Beretta and they are both robust, reliable shotguns. Each has their little quirks and pluses and minuses but I would own either without concern or complaint.

If asked to choose between the two I would select Beretta but only because I prefer its handling over the Browning and I already own a Beretta over/under and I could interchange chokes. You might feel entirely different about how the Browning handles.

I don't know why your friends would call the Browning junk but IMHO it isn't. Shoot both and choose the one you like best.

Big Bear
July 25, 2001, 02:32 PM
Coincidentally, I tried out both of these shotguns the same day shooting several rounds of sporting clays. I liked the Browning Gold Hunter a little better. I can't really put my finger on why, as it's been a few years, but it seemed to fit me better and it balanced nicely. You'll do well with either one.

FWIW, I didn't get either. I'm happy with my Remington 1100s. ;)

idaho-ar15
July 25, 2001, 03:45 PM
Two of the guys I share a goose blind with are using the gold hunters, both have severe extraction problems in the cold. One of the guys gold hunter has been back to the factory 3 times in 2 years to fix the problem.

This past winter we had some geese come in to our blinds, the shooting starting and something caught my eye, it was my freinds gold hunter being launched out of the blind in disgust. He managed to get of one shot and it jammed, so while the rest of us are raining geese down, he is setting there with his nice looking gold hunter that is a fancy, heavy singleshot!!

There are alot of these guns used in my local shops and I think it is due to this.

Disclaimer, I am not bashing browning, I use their 3.5" bps stalker for goose hunting, a browning bdm 9mm for a carry gun and a .338 bar for elk hunting.

hope this helps.
idaho-ar15

PWK
July 25, 2001, 07:38 PM
I've had the Browning Gold Hunter for over a year now. I use it mainly for clay sports and quail & dove hunting. Now that I've put almost 1000 rounds through it I haven't had any problems. The Breakfree CLP is great stuff. On the Browning website it states that the gun will handle 1 1/8 oz and up but mine will cycle 7/8 oz without a problem of course I spray the action down with CLP first. The folks over at Shotgun Report prefer the Berretta only giving the Browning high marks for use in severe weather. Their experience has been that the Beretta doesn't hold up as well when the weather gets real bad. So go figure. Two factors in favor of the Browning are that it is factory backbored and the auto load feature. Also the wood on the Beretta is downright ugly compared to the Browning.

Georam
July 25, 2001, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all the info. Considering that I am only going to be going dove hunting and some clay shooting I am probably going to go with the browning.
Georam