PDA

View Full Version : Colt black powder

LBC
July 21, 2001, 02:16 AM
I am new to black powder guns and was wondering if anyone knows the difference, if any, between Colt's 2nd generation black powder revolvers (i.e. 1851 Navy) and the new "Signature" series? I keep hearing people say the 2nd gen. had better fit and finish, but the Signature series 1851 I recently saw was very nice. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, LBC.

RON in PA
July 23, 2001, 09:33 AM
My understanding is that both started out as Italian(Iberti?)parts. The 2nd gen. were marketed and put together by Colt in the late 70's while the current guns are put together by a company that pays Colt a royalty for the name.

IHMO unless you want the unique Colt markings they arn't worth the premium over a Uberti.

cjc
July 25, 2001, 08:57 AM
I have to agree. When you buy a Colt you're spending more for the name than you are anything else. Uberti makes really good reproduction guns and they cost a whole lot less.

Salt
April 19, 2002, 10:37 PM
I got to say that having a real Colt is nice.

Dr.Rob
April 22, 2002, 03:44 PM
The silver plated grip on my signaure series and deep bluing puts the "other" Italian guns I've seen to shame. Was it worth the extra $200... yeah it was.

Will an Uberti be worth $300 ever? Doubtful. Will a Colt be worth what you paid for it? Count on it.

Coltdriver
April 22, 2002, 09:58 PM
I picked up a Colt Walker signature series that was supposed to be a factory second. Cost $300 new. I found a very small scratch on the trigger guard.

The blue and fit on this gun are drop dead gorgeous. I don't know about the others.

But I got me a real Colt Walker and it is a hoot so shoot!

Alex Johnson
April 25, 2002, 02:40 PM
A lot of the guns that Colt has been making for the signature series are poorly finished. My father has a Colt Walker signature that had allmost all the corners rounded over. The 2nd generation Colts that he has are finished much nicer however.