PDA

View Full Version : S&W trigger geometry?

VictorLouis
July 11, 2001, 10:15 PM
Has it changed at all with the introduction of the MIM parts? One smith says that K/L/N triggers are universal, and he's put several 'old' triggers into MIM-equipped guns. The main reason being that they have solid backs and are easily drilled and tapped for trigger stops. Another says that the latter series generations (-6 and up?) have relocated frame pins and older triggers are imcompatible. They won't properly align with the hammer/DA sear to even function at all.:confused:

C.R.Sam
July 11, 2001, 11:59 PM
Did a quick book comparison of Mod 19-5 and 19-6 .400 target SM triggers and they are different part numbers. Don't have a -6 here so can't do a physical comparison. Sho gotta be something different between them tho.

Sam

WhiteFox
July 12, 2001, 10:39 AM
According to the AGI videos, earlier trigger parts were hard chrome plated, but that was changed to case-hardened on the MIM parts because of wear problems. You can spot a case-hardened trigger/hammer by it brownish, dull color, obvious against the stainless guns they are installed on.
-WF

VictorLouis
July 12, 2001, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Sam.:) That's another thing, the smith that told me of the imcompatibility thinks that the hard-chromed parts ARE STAINLESS. Now, if he's not aware of THAT, I'm hoping that he's off-base on this issue as well.

C.R.Sam
July 12, 2001, 11:19 AM
I ask customer service at Smith if the lockwork in my 686 and 696 was stainless...........response was "yes"

Sam

VictorLouis
July 12, 2001, 05:34 PM
maybe the phone personnel at Smith 'really' don't know one way or the other.:rolleyes: Such lack of knowledge is routine at all sorts of companies, and I would suspect that Smith is no different. ;)

C.R.Sam
July 12, 2001, 11:22 PM
Victor, yeah, scary isn't it. I did get it in writing though.

Sam

VictorLouis
July 17, 2001, 11:44 AM
B T T T :D